Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To check your engine temp you need to put your car in diagnostic mode.
Put the key in the ignition, hold down the odometer reset button, turn the key to the accessory on position, and when the odometer digital readout say's "test", let go of the button. from there if you tap the reset button it'll switch between your speed, tach, oil, fuel, temp, etc.

Everyone thank PankcackeOfDoom

·
Registered
10 Posts
diagnostic mode

Thats handy, I didnt know I could do that. Now if I could only fix the speedometer problem. My speedometer reads 5mph off. If the speedometer reads that I'm doing 75 I'm really only doing 70. Thats freaky when you have a cop pull out behind you and you look down and it says you are doing 5mph over the speed limit when you really arent.....lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This Site Rocks!

This is such a good tidbit, and I tried it on today, and it worked! I have a 2002 and I never knew I could do this, one question though. What are those other readings that come across and what do the numbers mean? I obviously know what the fuel, batt, etc mean, but what are those P- 09 readings? Also, is that fuel number related to the amount of gas I currently have? The battery, what are good numbers, and bad when reading the diagnostics? Thanks!:wavey

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I have yet to go through the OBD and find out what all those codes are for yall. Im sure they are sensors reading and reporting back, just have to decifer them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OBD Codes

Maybe this will help a little on the OBD codes. The letter at the beginnning will be either B-body, C-chassis, P-powertrain or U-network. There will be either a 0-general or a 1-mfg. spec after that. The next three numbers are the sub system and ID code. They can be found at www.moddedmustangs.com. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Odometer Display Description GAGE Activates gauge sweep of all gauges, then displays present gauge values. Also carries out the checksum tests on ROM and EE. If the gauge sweep is inoperative, INSTALL a new instrument cluster. All segments illuminated Illuminates all odometer segments. If any odometer segment is inoperative INSTALL a new instrument cluster. bulb Illuminates all micro-controlled indicators and LEDs. Install a new indicator or LED as necessary. r Returns to normal operation of all micro-controlled indicators and LEDs and displays hexadecimal value for ROM level. (used when requesting assistance from the hotline). If alternating flashes for FAIL and ROM level are displayed, INSTALL a new instrument cluster. EE Displays the hexadecimal value for EE level (used when requesting assistance from hotline). If alternating flashes of FAIL and EE level are displayed replace instrument cluster. dt Displays hexadecimal coding of final manufacturing test date (used when requesting assistance from hotline). dtc Displays continuous DTC's in hexadecimal format. Pressing the SELECT/RESET button will display any DTCs stored before proceeding to the next step. enG Displays the English speed in MPH. Speedometer will indicate present speed within tolerances. Display will show 0 if input in not received. If input is invalid for one second or more, or if speed is 0. m Displays the metric speed data in kph. Speedometer will indicate present speed within tolerances. Display will show 0 if input in not received. If input is invalid for one second or more, or if speed is 0. tAc Displays the tachometer data received from the PCM via the SCP network within tolerances. Tachometer will indicate present RPM. Display will show 0 if input is no received, if input received is invalid for one second or more, or if engine RPM is 0. FUEL Displays the code (0-255) for the fuel sender input to the HEC. The fuel gauge will display a filtered fuel level value. This filter will keep the pointer from moving suddenly or erratically.
255 open send +/- 0 232 full stop +/- 0 215 Full mark +/- 10 178 3/4 mark +/- 8 138 1/2 mark +/- 7 93 1/4 mark +/- 5 41 E mark +/- 4 54 Low Fuel (0-59) 0-18 short (0-20 max) OIL Displays the code (0-250) for the oil pressure switch input to the HEC. Oil pressure gauge will indicate present oil pressure. Normal oil pressure (greater than 6psi) will display a value between 000 and 176. A low oil pressure or an inoperative engine oil pressure switch (less than 6 psi) will display a value greater than 176. dEGC Display of engine temperature in Degrees C input from cylinder head temperature sensor.
49 C "C" mark 60 C Normal band start 120 C Normal band end -40 C No SCP message for 5 seconds bAtt Displays the code (0-255) for the battery voltage input to the HEC. Battery voltage gauge will indicate present battery voltage. 93-102 6.2-9.1 volts, low voltage 115-124 8.5-10.7 volts, Normal band start 215-225 15.8-18 volts, Norm band end 230-241 16.9-19.1 volts, high voltage rhEo Displays the present decimal rheostat dimming input, 0-255 (used when requesting assistance from the hotline) rhi
rhS
rho
Not used. Cr Displays the current RUN/START sense input. Display will show -h for high input with the ignition switch in the START position and -L for low input with the ignition switch in the RUN position. PA-PE7 not used. GAGE Repeats the display cycle

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you and make up a language with a manual odometer and think your reading something.

RPM - 34578m

Im kidding

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know that in my old Dodge you could do they key thing and the check engine light would flash the codes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know what you mean with the flashing check engine light.... I can do that with my 94 S10 blazer, short out two of the contacts on the computer port, and count the flashes and it gives you the code...idk about that working at all on stangs, I havent heard of anything with OBD-II (96 and up) being able to just flash the light like that, dont think it can be done

and I'm pretty sure that this diagnostic thing didnt come around until 99

·
Registered
8 Posts
New Glo Gauges

Wow, good stuff. When I installed my white gauges, I had to be VERY meticulous about the needles then I had another mustang drive beside me to hammer ou the kinks. However, this looks like a much better idea for my 2002 Mustang. The RPM's seem dead on but it would be good to know for sure. My battery power & speedo still needs an adjustment & the fuel light wont go on b4 I run out of gas now, some adj necc. Now I know how.:gringreen

·
Registered
3 Posts
someone could I help me
My ford mustang 2003 (6v 3.8l) the high coil don't sent the signal to spark plug at the two cylinders # 3 and 4 . I bought the new high coil module, wires and spark plug but the problem stills what part is the trouble?
thank for your help me

1 - 20 of 30 Posts