Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 06 GT two days ago. I was underneath the car this morning installing my Flowmasters & I looked at the rear diff. cover. There’s a white sticker on the diff. cover that has a bar code, a part number and the numbers “3.31”.

Everything I’ve seen about the rear end ratio for a 5 speed 06 says it should be 3.55.

Automatics get a 3.31.

I haven’t had a chance yet to put the rear end on jackstands and rotate the driveshaft & count the number of times it takes for the rear wheels to make one revolution. I’ll be really p.o.ed of Ford gave me a 3.31 rear end.

I have noticed that I have to rev the engine a bit when starting out in 1st gear. Plus, I have stalled it a few times. I thought it was me getting used to the car and the lame drive-by-wire gas pedal. P.S., I know how to drive a 5 speed.

Do anyone have this same sticker on their 5 speed GT’s rear end?????

Although, if I did get a 3.31, I should be able to get Ford to pick up the install of a 3.55 ring and pinion at no charge (or maybe 3.73 or 4.10).

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
06 GT auto 331 here bud.....who knows...Ford has done stranger things. hate that drive by wire feel.

·
Registered
403 Posts
man...in another thread, just read where a v6/v8 crossmember/mount mixup was causing vibration too. Sounds like a couple folks on the line arent paying attention- worse than that, Quality Control's not watching either. kinda scary.
Hopefully its got gt sized brakes/posi, not the v6 stuff...I'm gonna be lookin mine over(if it ever gets here...).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I jack up the rear and count the driveshaft revolutions & I'll check for posi also.

I'll report back in a day or so.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
If they did give you the wrong one, they will just install the one that is supposed to be there.

·
Registered
261 Posts
well i checked my gt and the sticker says 3.55 . i hav an 05 manual. i hav to think you may hav gotten 3.31's but who knows, i could hav them in mine to. i bet with the bogged down production of these cars fords tryin to get them out the door faster. DIDNT YOU KNOW THE WORLD IS JUST ONE BIG CONSPIRACY!!! BOOOOOOOOOOO.vynle:sterb:

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Mine says 3.55, too. That's freakin' scary. How is one to tell if you received the right suspension parts and items like that?

If they can put in the wrong rear end could they put in the wrong tranny?

Hey, gd06GT, tell us your exact RPMs at 30 MPH in second gear and one of us can do the same and see if they match. I'll try it next time I'm in the car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One other weird thing, I don't have a hyrocarbon trap. I checked yesterday (planning on removing it) and to my surprise, there is no trap.

I'm not too upset about that...

I'll do some driving in a day or so (and jack up the rear & count the driveshaft rev's) and report back on Tues / Wed..

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
gd06gt said:
One other weird thing, I don't have a hyrocarbon trap. I checked yesterday (planning on removing it) and to my surprise, there is no trap.

I'm not too upset about that...

I'll do some driving in a day or so (and jack up the rear & count the driveshaft rev's) and report back on Tues / Wed..
They quit putting those in later in the 05 model year.

·
Registered
191 Posts
take it back to the dealership and let them check it to be sure it wasn't a miss build as ford only gives the dealer and you a month or less to realize such a mistake has been made......and then i'd have em check out the rest of the car like they were supposed to when they did the pdi before delivery ,I would also go over the build sheet and window sticker to insure ya didn't get taken advantage of on anything........:cool:

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Interesting. Keep us informed on the outcome. 3.55 gt stick here

G

·
OMG, after checking cuz of this thread, I just noticed I have the V6!!!

No wonder I had to mod so much to scratch rubber!!

:winks

Take it in and have em replace, good time to get the FRPP 4.10:1's.

·
Registered
403 Posts
R3dF1r3 said:
OMG, after checking cuz of this thread, I just noticed I have the V6!!!
No wonder I had to mod so much to scratch rubber!!
Heheheh :)

as long as its not FWD...

·
Registered
403 Posts
gd06gt-

you might want to ask Kzinti over at blueoval for a final report on your car- it will have ALL the codes as to what was SUPPOSED to be on the car...

·
Registered
146 Posts
My 05 GT 5sp sticker says 3.55. Good luck!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Could be just the wrong sticker or cover.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Mine reads 3.55.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update... I finally got my GT up on rear jacks. A little more than 7 revolutions of the rear drive shaft gave met 2 rev's of the rear wheels. That tells me that I've got the 3.55 rear end although the sticker says "3.31".

Wrong sticker w/3.55 rear end.....

I'm a little disappointed because it "felt" like I didn't have the low end torque that I thought I'd have. I thought I had the 3.31 rear end.

Reason for 3.73's or 4.10's...

Thanks for all of your help!!!

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
My thinking 3.73, not worth it, 4.10, not until I can afford a 6-speed (highway driver...)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts