Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys....I have to confess i was just kiding with you guys when i posted my first thread....
There is no way i would treat the car in such a way.....:worship

However, i have to admit that I am not the BEST break-in driver in the world.
HERE IS THE REAL DEAL:

I would rev the engine between 2k-3k before letting the clutch out slowly from a dead stop (This is mostly because i live in the mountains and going uphill from a dead stop is BULL****)

I put 288 miles on it already and gonna get my oild changed this saturday...

The farthest ive gone with the gas is almost 1/4 way.....im not even sure if i hit 1/4 way yet......

Like i sed Im not the best break in driver and I should admit that I have stalled about 5 times in the past couple of days...This is mainly due to slopped areas and the fact that the MUSTANG clutch is tighter and heavier than the clutch of my previous car, NISSAN MAXIMA '96..... (Will stalling hurt my car??)

Furthermore, i should admit that i have driven the car to 85 MPH......this so so because i drive on the freeway a lot and i dont want my speed and tach meter to stay stagnant since ive read in posts that stagnant tachs and speedometer during break-in is a big NO-NO..... So what i do is vary my speeds between 65-85 mph in the freeway, also shifting between 4th and 5th gear.....Is driving over 60 mph a big issue???

I also burned the rubber twice.....They weren't on purpose, but nonetheless, i admit that I burned ruber twice....

The first was at an intersection, when turning left, I hit the gas quikly and let out the clutch too slowly, hence i spun the tires out a bit, but it wasn't too bad,.....

The second time was at the driveway of my cousin...SHE HAS A DOWNLOPPING DRIVEWAY!!!! I was parked uphill and when i was ready to leave, I shifted to first and revved the engine to about 3k and let out the clutch too slowly, thus the car rolled backwards and when the clutch finnaly hit the friction point the tires spun out for about a split second.......hmmmm......

SHIFTING:

When i showed of the car to a couple friends and family members.....I hit the gas like close to 1/4 way (farthest ive gone)....then shifted to second at 4k.......Then gassed until 4k in second gear, then that's it.......Just wanted to show AMERICAN MUSCLE to them...hehehehh =).....

When im cruising i shieft beteen 3k and 4k, sometimes even 2k........

The REAL PROBLEM:

Last night i was backing out of ALBERTSON's.....So i put on the hand break and pushed in the clutch all the way and shifted to reverse.....I revved the engine to about 2.5k and let out the clutch slowly.......However, the car wouldn't move even when the friction point hit...so i Added more gas 3.5k.......It started moving slowly but surely, but when i was ready to go forward and shift to FIRST, i realized that I had forgotten to disengage the handbreak and that was causing the car to move slower than usual......I also realized that there was smoke around my car.....But i don't know where it came from.....im not sure if from the hood or bottom of the car....

IS THIS A BIG PROBLEM???

Do you guys suggest me changing my driving habits in any way to better break in the car, because i want to keep this car forever, and i wanna make sure it lasts as long as possible.....

Do you guys think ive damaged the car in any way? Is there any way to save her in case i did.......And im truly sorry if i have....I didn't mean to....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Your car is fine, in my experience with leaving the E-brake on and trying to go anywhere.

I think you mean that you have let the clutch out too fast when you are burning rubber...:?:

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
The only damage you probably have done is with the parking brake and maybe the clutch, both are repairable but you might have shortened the life of the clutch which is not a huge deal, just a earlier expense. I would take it to the dealer and have them look at the parking brake. You don't want them tearing the clutch apart at this point.
Have you had a lot of experience with manuals?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
The parking brake engages will hurt it no more than pushing on the brake while moving. (All it is, is a manual way to use the rear brakes.) Not to worry.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I suspect you are worried about nothing. Many of us drive our cars much harder than you talked about in your post. The only concern I would have, as someone already mentioned, is your clutch. Judging from what you said it sounds like you ride your clutch a lot. The smoking I would guess was your clutch not your brakes, did it smell funky? The brakes take a while to smoke. The end result will be your clutch wearing prematurely and requireing replacement. No biggie.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ChestyP79 said:
Hold on a sec. I'm looking for your sign. :dunce:
What sign?? :?:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sounds like you riding the clutch a little too much like mentioned earlier. Being that you only have 288 miles on it already, I doubt it's need of repair. Also, one backup with the parking brake still engaged probably didn't harm anything majorly either.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
y22kc said:
Sounds like you riding the clutch a little too much like mentioned earlier. Being that you only have 288 miles on it already, I doubt it's need of repair. Also, one backup with the parking brake still engaged probably didn't harm anything majorly either.
2 questions:

How do i alter my driving habits to keep from wearing out the clutch prematurely??

No harm.....even if there was smoke and a funky smell.....???

·
Registered
191 Posts
oh man was i supposed to break my 06 in?????? i just hammered her like you would a cute little college gurl and drove it (like the man said) ,i stole it...oh well fun is fun...............and if she breaks thats why they make extra parts ......:tongue

·
Registered
20 Posts
darkdayz said:
oh man was i supposed to break my 06 in?????? i just hammered her like you would a cute little college gurl and drove it (like the man said) ,i stole it...oh well fun is fun...............and if she breaks thats why they make extra parts ......:tongue
hmm... this is what i did. i broke mine in by rid'n her hard b/c of this link that my friend sent me:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

also, 2 of my friends works at ford (one is an engineer unaffiliated w/ the mustangs, and the other was a production supervisor for the mustangs at ford). they told me that they usually run a sample of the engines off the line pretty hard at the factory b/c of warranty considerations (you have to make sure your confidence in your yields are high). something like that.

i'm at 7500 miles so far (i got mine last december). no problems at all yet. :D

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
myromac87 said:
2 questions:

How do i alter my driving habits to keep from wearing out the clutch prematurely??

Keep your foot off the clutch while you are driving, be quick when you shift, don't ride the clutch, don't use it to slow down, use the brakes. steep hills are tricky, you have to be quick with the brake\clutch..takes practice.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dude, if you really have a car, park it and go back to school. A mind is a terriible thing to waste.

·
Registered
55 Posts
myromac87 said:
2 questions:

Try not to give the car so much gas while letting off the clutch. I understand taking off on steep inclines is harder to do, but you shouldn't have to rev to 2.5-3k either.

As far the smoke and funky smell, I'm not sure if that's from the clutch burning or the rear brakes burning. I had a Mazda truck I bought brand new and my brother drove it about 10 miles with the emergency brake engaged with about 150 miles on it. I drove the truck 80k miles and never had to replace the brakes on it, so like I said, I doubt enough damage was done to warrant a repair.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
You have a VERY good clutch in there and don't worry! You should follow the advice above but it will last with some obuse! Thump have over 500 drag strip runs on his stock unit and is now changing it!! That should tell you it will hold up!

·
Registered
145 Posts
The joys of new mustangs, I just got mine less than a week ago, and I've already mastered manual =P All I did was go to a school at 8pm and just went up and down the parking lot and engaging 1st gear then stopping and redoing it all over, good thing was it had a decline and incline in the parking lot so i could practice my technique for hills, jsut gotta really get used to taht friction point so you dont have to look at rpms or think about it, just gotta get that feel.. i'm still workin on lettin my clutch out slower but i've got it pretty well. Hill's are ***** though, specially for newbie manuals, I was too scared I'd hit the ******* behind me that decided to get clsoe to me as possible, that I'd stall it from being so nervous haha

·
Registered
106 Posts
pcfrisch said:
Keep your foot off the clutch while you are driving, be quick when you shift, don't ride the clutch, don't use it to slow down, use the brakes. steep hills are tricky, you have to be quick with the brake\clutch..takes practice.
if u know how to drive stick, and match revs, you can use the engine to slow down. i also have my decel timer changed to about 2 seconds, so it actually slows the car down. i wouldnt try and do this till you can drive well though.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
official_style said:
if u know how to drive stick, and match revs, you can use the engine to slow down. i also have my decel timer changed to about 2 seconds, so it actually slows the car down. i wouldnt try and do this till you can drive well though.
What I meant was if you are going pretty quick, say 70ish and you slam it into 2nd to slow it down. Using the clutch unnecessarily.

·
Registered
897 Posts
kj_cinci said:
You have a VERY good clutch in there and don't worry! You should follow the advice above but it will last with some obuse! Thump have over 500 drag strip runs on his stock unit and is now changing it!! That should tell you it will hold up!
Hi,:wavey

KJ's right I have over 550 1/4 mile runs but most of them were dropping the clutch at 2500rpm on street tires. There is almost no wear that way.

My clutch problems started one day when I tried to do a dry burnout on drag radials.
A friend of mine noticed a puff of white smoke come out of the front wheel well.
It took a total of about 1 second for me to notice that it wasn't my wheels that were spinning but the damage was done.
The clutch was never the same since.

Like everyone else says it's practice myromac87 needs.

Good luck with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts