Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a new 2010 Mustang GT and I am young and still learning about cars. I've red lined it a few times, but I read that redlining it damages the engine badly.

I once red lined it and the car slowed down by itself. I only have 3k miles on this and don't want to damage it! This is my first stick btw. :hihi:

Nick

·
Registered
781 Posts
I own a new 2010 Mustang GT and I am young and still learning about cars. I've red lined it a few times, but I read that redlining it damages the engine badly.

I once red lined it and the car slowed down by itself. I only have 3k miles on this and don't want to damage it! This is my first stick btw. :hihi:

Nick
I wouldnt push a new engine like that, now u can but redlineing a virgin engine is a big no no

Id def not run it as recklessly as that and learn to time ur shifts better cause if u keep redlining that new car wont last long

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
19 years old, 2010 gt... redlining it... id hate to be you, and love to be your insurance agent...

if you keep this up ill say its gonna meet a tree within 2 years.

red line is red for a reason unless you build it... its bad.

my TA red lines at liek 4900...but will safely handle 7K thanks to a rebuild

·
Registered
781 Posts
19 years old, 2010 gt... redlining it... id hate to be you, and love to be your insurance agent...

if you keep this up ill say its gonna meet a tree within 2 years.

red line is red for a reason unless you build it... its bad.

my TA red lines at liek 4900...but will safely handle 7K thanks to a rebuild

Its like a stop sign... you stop for a reason :D

If anything get a shift light so it says.... "hey bud shift or im gonna pop!!!"

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I redline at 6k? I think. I've done it like 5 times (all mistakes) since I got it April 28th.

17 btw ;)

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
ok nm im sorry 6 months or less itl be in a tree.

how do you accidently hit 6k?

unless im racing and jsut get dumb the super high engine noice is a sure fire way to say SHIFT!

+1 on the dummy light

how did you ever get credit to buy a 2010 gt?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I own a business.

So I have surely done damage to the engine? I mean sometimes I was barely redlining.

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
no you prolly dident do damage..but take it easy!

and youll be fine.

what do you do?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Idk if uve done damage but its like taking ur new smoking hot gf to mcdnlds for ur first date... U just dont treat something so sexy like that! :nono:

also if ur redlineing alot... it highly suggest 2 things... 1. a helmet cause wen it blows ur gonna go! and 2. bus tokens to get home

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh god I really had my heart racing lol.

I build websites for companies, etc. I turned 17 less than three week ago. I've been lucky enough to own 2 new mustangs, traded the old one in.

Sorry for bragging, just filling the questions in. :)

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
they do, and ford has strong forged rods and pistons anyways
the strongest part on your car is prolly the damn rod lol....

but that dont mean you cant throw one out the bottom

the rev limiter HELPS PROTECT

keyword helps not a gaurentee.

you can technicly throw a rod at 1000 rpm... not likely but it can happen.

you said you did it accidently... i just dont think you can drive

in gear it takes it a sec to get to 6K

·
Registered
781 Posts
Do the Sticks have the computer shut down to prevent RL like the autos? Havent redlined my new one yet.

Just be gentle with that engine, treat it like a lady. :shigrin

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
youll learm

shift around 2500 rpm...3K at most.

just go usually manuals shift around 15 MPH or halfway through a turn to go in to second.

jsut look at speed and tach and learn it... youll pick it up fast

·
Registered
781 Posts
if u redlined trying to race that does equate to bad driving. Remember u can have the best car in the world but if you cant drive it, it isnt gonna beat a civil :nono:

·
Registered
921 Posts
I'd say trade it in for an Auto if its your first stick. Go find a 500 dollar junker to beat up for awhile first. Thats the reason I chose an auto rather then a stick. Only decent stick driving I had was a 68(?) F-350. That was about ~5 years ago.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can drive a stick, just not race a stick. I am NOT trading my baby in for at least a year.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.