Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my car in to have the Shaker 500 Replaced and ive waited over 2 months for the backordered head unit. I call them today and they say "Oh, you were on my call list, your radio came in 2 weeks ago, bring the car over its about a 2-5 minute installation" I bring my car over knowing that was ******** and it would take 25-30 minutes. 1 hour goes by and I'm pissed. The service guy comes in and says we need codes from Ford where we need the car and both head units to replace it. Some kind of codes because the lights and all are tied into it. They said it will take 5-6 hours and they are not doing this today. Now, did i just eat some ******** or is this true. :mad:

E

·
0 Posts
Read its somewhat true. There are a couple threads on this site regarding the replacement of the shaker head units, and as I recall they have to input numbers n whatnot into the replacement. Been a while since I've read the other threads... dunno that it should take quite THAT long to replace, but its not as simple as you'd think apparently.

Here's the TSB on it:

TSB 05-6-9

FORD: 2005 Five Hundred, Focus, Freestyle, Mustang, F-150
MERCURY: 2005 Montego

ISSUE:
Some 2005 Freestyle, Five Hundred/Montego vehicles built 5/17/2004 through 2/24/2005, and 2005 Mustang, Focus, F-150 vehicles, all vehicles equipped with a single or 6 disk CD player with MP3 capability, may exhibit one or more of the following intermittent CD player concerns.

CD player skips
Locks up when playing homemade CDs
Displays "Error" or "Bad Disc"
Will not accept CDs
CD inoperative or inconsistent playability of some CDRs.

ACTION:
Replace CD player with latest service level through your facing audio service center. When replacing the audio unit (radio) on 2005 Freestyle, Five Hundred, Montego and Mustang vehicles it is necessary to perform programmable module installation (PMI) prior to removal of the old audio unit. This information must be uploaded into the new audio unit once installed. Failure to perform PMI on the new audio unit may result in inoperative backlighting and/or diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B2477. If communication cannot be established with old audio unit to download this information, as built data will need to be used. As built data can be obtained at the Professional Technician Society (PTS) website or at www.motorcraft.com. For additional information, refer Workshop Manual Section 415-01 and 418-01.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Why did they not know this BEFORE making you drive in and sit there for an hour? Not to mention giving you a quoted work time.

I'd be pissed even if it is true they need the codes. They should have known that before dragging you in there and wasting your time..

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's probably true they need the codes, but they should be able to look up the codes from a number on the back of the unit. Sounds like BS to me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Actually, it's true and some dealers don't know about the light on the radio problem until they call ford, It's something to do with the computer, with out the computer codes the lights on the radio will not show at night when on, My dealer went through the same thing back in March. The service tech said that he has never before run into having to set a computer code for a radio until the 05 Mustang. It was new to him. But it's not a five hour job, 1 to 2 hours the most. good luck!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yes its true, I didnt know about the radio's until reading the TSB, When vehicles are built they have a set program in some of there modules called as built data, when replacing the module or radio in this case the data from the old module must be uploaded into the scan tool and downloaded into the new module. If this fails or the new module does'nt take, you have to go online to PTS and get the codes and then manually enter them into the module. 5-6 hrs is a bit much. I doubt many dealers know about this until they get a few in and have to deal with it :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
The programming should take 30 minutes tops, and that's even on the high end. The actual unit replacement, allow two hours. Anything else they told you was BS. It took three radios and me finding the afore mentioned TSB before my dealership was miraculously able to get the last radio working (although me telling them the TSB # had nothing to do with the fact my radio suddenly lit up and worked 20 minutes later). Like the others have said some of the dealers are very, very, very uninformed when it comes to the issues the Mustangs can have.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i feel your pain

I'm right there with ya man - right now the fuse on my cd player has been pulled and I have no radio or CD player, cuz the THIRD player the dealer installed locked up on the 5th day and kept grinding thru cd's on a continual change mode. The display said CD "error" and I of course had no backlighting either (the dealer forgot to do the PMI per the TSB).

Now the dealer has contacted Ford Engineering to find out what is wrong with all of these cd players.

I'm getting tired of driving around with no tunes, but the Shaker pretty much SUCKS

Somewhat ruins the experience of owning my first stang....and there's been numerous other quality problems as well - squealing brakes, gas tank, rattling steering wheel & dash, occassionally the car won't even start when you turn the key on random occasions. The brakes and steering wheel and gas tank problem have been fixed. Sadly, I've already started entertaining notions of selling it next spring, while the values of the used 2005's should still be high

·
Registered
32 Posts
fitch615 said:
I just took my car in to have the Shaker 500 Replaced and ive waited over 2 months for the backordered head unit. I call them today and they say "Oh, you were on my call list, your radio came in 2 weeks ago, bring the car over its about a 2-5 minute installation" I bring my car over knowing that was ******** and it would take 25-30 minutes. 1 hour goes by and I'm pissed. The service guy comes in and says we need codes from Ford where we need the car and both head units to replace it. Some kind of codes because the lights and all are tied into it. They said it will take 5-6 hours and they are not doing this today. Now, did i just eat some ******** or is this true. :mad:
Here's why it might take a few hours to do. If they think they have to pull the new radio out, then put the old one back in to download the codes, then put the new one back in and upload the old codes.

However, they are supposed to be able to get the data from Ford if they already sent the old unit back before they caught on that they had to download the PMI.

If your dealer reads the TSB completely, he shouldn't have to reinstall the old radio. The preferred way is to download the codes before removing the old radio.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts