Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Well let me say I sure did something stupid and need anyone's and everyone's help. I just had my car running good. I decided to fix all of the vaccum problem and put a clean upper and lower stock intake manifold back on. My daughter was helping me and I left her unattended for a few minutes. She had pulled all of the vaccum lines off and pulled the distibutor out before I could mark where the distibutor sat to get the correct timing and I have no idea where the vaccum lines go. I need to know where all of the vaccum lines go that come off of a stock intake manifold. I tried to set the timing by ear and it will run but runs like crap. I also need to know where the fuel pressure regulator line runs to. It is for a 90 mustang lx. The car barely starts,runs and then dies. I dont even know if I have the vaccum lines correct that are coming off of the vaccum ports that are located on the backside of the passanger front strut. What color or port goes where? I did put the new/old upper and lower on with new gaskets. When I do give it gas it sounds like the engine is struggling. Please some one help me! It is an automatic 5.0 lx.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Your in luck, I too have a 90 Lx 5.0 and just finished putting in a FPR so I just took all the lines off my upper intake...Ok first on the back of the upper intake there is 2 small vaccum lines...If you were sitting in the car the one to the left goes over to that vaccum harness you are talking about...Not sure what color though, the one on the right goes to your FPR...To the left of both those lines there is a big vaccum line, that runs to the vaccum "T" on the drivers side firewall....It is all the way to the left side (looking from front of car this time) and labeled "S" on the vaccum "T"...Around the way under the driver's side of the intake is a metal fitting where the pcv valve hose connects to the back and a vaccum line connects to the front that should run down the intake out by the distributor and down the front of the engine, not sure where it ends up...That is it for the vaccum lines on the intake in my car...Hope it helps...And now that I think about it that small line that runs to the vaccum harness by the passenger side firewall I believe is red, at least on mine it is...But I busted my harness a while back so all I have is plastic hoses I connect my vaccum lines to...Hope this helps some...

Jason

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jason I will give it a shot tomarrow. What about the EGR valve? Does that go to the vaccum fittings by the passanger strut? Have any Ideas about the timing problem? Do you know if the vaccum kines are screwed up will it cause the car to run like crap? I also need to know if you can tell me where the lines come from or go to from that vaccum block by the passanger side strut?

Thanks Rich

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
91lx5.0grey said:
Do you know if the vaccum kines are screwed up will it cause the car to run like crap? I also need to know if you can tell me where the lines come from or go to from that vaccum block by the passanger side strut?Thanks Rich
Only if it's really leaking outside air into the mixture. The stuff on the passenger side is for emissions.
You want to set the timing with the SPOUT pill removed. Also verify 13726548 firing order.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Rich...I can guide you to where the vaccum lines go...Yes the EGR vaccum line runs over to that harness at the passenger side...Problem is I broke harness so I just have vaccum hoses running to the plastic lines that use to run into that thing...The reason if b/c Ford no longer makes that harness so If you break a line to that thing you have to just cut all the plastic hoses at the back of the harness and then bridge them with a replacement rubber vaccum hose...I am not sure, but I was thinking that the harness is just all vaccum, there is really no difference as they are all just running vaccum...Maybe it wouldn't even matter which one you connected to as they are all doing the same thing...Somebody else know if this is correct or not??????...The lines coming from the harness go to EGR, Smog pump Canister, Another canister before smog pump, and the last one runs to the vaccum nipple at the back of the upper intake by where the FPR vaccum lines hook on (see post above for orientation)...You have to just feel back there, as unless you take it off you can't see it, but feel around and you will feel the to metal nipples back there where the lines run...Hope this helps...

Jason

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks people I appriciate the help. I will give it a shot with the info everyone supplied. If there is anything I can help anyone with let me know.

Mustangs Forever!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
That harness supplys vacuum to the EGR solenoid (and to the EGR valve), and the TAB and TAD solenoids (and the valves which they control). There is also a vacuum reservoir with a checkvalve, which (I'm pretty sure) serves the TAB and TAD solenoids. These regulate vacuum to the smogpump bypass valve, and diverter valve.
I recreated mine with a couple of tees, and some vacuum hose.
If your car still has the coil cover, it should have a vacuum line schematic on it. Or I think you might find one online.

·
Registered
21 Posts
look for the decal

you shoud have a decal on the hood or maybe on the fan cover that will help show you the vacuum line circuit. If not there autozone.com has online service manuals at there web site and you can print them off.
timing get your #1 cylinder coming up for a compression stroke a remote starter switch is handy to do this with pull the plug from # 1 cylinder and put your finger over "not in" the hole when you feel it building pressure remove the remote starter switch and us a socket on the crank shaft to rotate the engine on around till your timing marks line up figure out where #1 will be and mark the distributer with a sharpie lower the distributor into the motor so the rotor button is in line with the mark you made on the distributor when the distibutor is all the way in you may need to pull it out and move it a little to get it lined up remember it will turn about a 1/4 turn as it goes in. That should get it where it will crank and run and with a timing light you can dial it in. I hope this helps.:wavey

ps when I bought my 95 gt someone had it 180 out and had moved all the wires around to make it work. they also had the cap and the adapter between the cap turned 180 and how they did that I dont know because it has a round boss on one side and a square boss on the other side and I think there a little off set not 180 across from each other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.