Ford Mustang Forum banner

Did I take some of the thrill out?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • Yes, buy a supercharger and get it back.

Votes: 2 11.8%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally have 500 + miles on the new rear end, suspension and tires. Started really getting on it today, noted that I have 0 wheel spin from launch. Pre mods I spun all day with the 91 race tune. Now I just get shove you in the seat launch, pulls like crazy. I turned TC off to be sure it wasn't the computer stopping the wheel spin... it isn't... I am getting so much grip now that even in a left or right turn at full throttle I am not breaking loose... only getting a little squeal. Really sticks to the road and pulls off the line like a shot from a gun.
So my question is..... did I take part of the thrill out of the car? It's very predictable now, stable and glued down... Did I lose something here?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Either way a super charger is going to make it a funner drive unless you h8 going fast and were driving stangs sooo pretty much get it >.<

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I say no, if it pulls harder and handles better then it is a win win to me. Still nothing wrong with getting a supercharger though :winks An XCharger will get those tires spinning and burn some rubber :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
784 Posts
its no fun at the track when you sit there spinning your tires. so i voted no

·
Registered
226 Posts
I noticed the same thing when I added the T-lok and replaced the stock tires. Now I mash the gas and it goes and I love it. No annoying TCS kicking in for no good reason.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Did you get your tuner updated for the 3.73's?

but I agree with the others not breaking loose and having the car pull like a freight train = WIN

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you get your tuner updated for the 3.73's?

but I agree with the others not breaking loose and having the car pull like a freight train = WIN
I did update the tunes, just trying to get used to the lack of wheel spin...

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
i voted no. spin = poor times at the track. i put the 3.73`s in mine, but the week before i did the gears i put oversized tires on my car so i was a little disapointed as i`m not getting the ratio, but its still more than the 3.31 and the t lok is great and the rpm`s on the highway at 80 are decent. i can still get a mean bite out of the hole even with the big tires :bigthumbsup some day i`ll get shorter tires for the rear and have some fun

·
Registered
306 Posts
I thought this was the whole point of the swap? Seriously if you wanna roast tires all day then get some skinny tires and lose every race while sitting in smoke.
Traction is a good thing. :yup:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I say no, your car pulls hard and will give GT's a run on the auto-cross, on the streets it must be a blast to drive. At the end of the day if you feel the car is missing somthing save up and get a supercharger or a turbo and have both... supercar handling and tire roasting fun... that is the beauty of mustangs they can be a bit of everything

·
Registered
217 Posts
I agree with everybody else. The whole point of the upgrades you did is to get traction, which you have done. If you add FI you will be able to spin the tires again but even then that is not the point. I wish I didn't spin. It gets annoying especially trying to get a good consistent time on an auotcross. I have to really focus on my launch to avoid spinning and this would be true for drag racing also.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought this was the whole point of the swap? Seriously if you wanna roast tires all day then get some skinny tires and lose every race while sitting in smoke.
Traction is a good thing. :yup:
I agree with everybody else. The whole point of the upgrades you did is to get traction, which you have done. If you add FI you will be able to spin the tires again but even then that is not the point. I wish I didn't spin. It gets annoying especially trying to get a good consistent time on an auotcross. I have to really focus on my launch to avoid spinning and this would be true for drag racing also.
Don't get me wrong, I was out to increase traction and I like the take off, it just feels like the car is slower since I don't have to do anything to get traction. I think when it spun the wheels it felt like it was faster (perceived power) because I had to watch the throttle.
However... Today I got a real taste of the mods that I did. I had a Camero SS come hauling butt up behind me. He rode behind me until we hit a light. Now I had no illusions about what car was faster, the SS is around 425hp stock vs my 210... should be a complete and total blowout. I flipped off the TC and we launched hard on green, SS pulled out ahead slowly. And I do mean slowly... he just didn't run away like I expected he would. He was faster, no doubt... but it wasn't nearly the kind of loss I expected. He then waited for me to pull back level, slowed down to around 30 and we took off again. Same thing, he was definitely faster but he didn't run away from me. Both runs we were around a car length apart when we shut down. Over a longer run I'm sure he would have stretched out the lead faster, but the gears and suspension mods kept me close over a short run.
So... I'm liking the way the car runs a little bit more today... :winks

·
Registered
704 Posts
I say no, but thats a great story! cant wait till i get back and do pretty much the same mods to my car, all the parts are sitting in the garage

·
Registered
109 Posts
I noticed the same kind of difference in our when we put in the 8.8 with 3.55 and LS and put in the racecraft suspension.

I used to easily slide it around corners (only 1 wheel spinning).

I took a 15mph turn I used to slide around at 30-35mph and It didn't slide. By slide I mean once the car is in the turn I mash the throttle and hang the rear out around the corner.

Now I can go into the turn at 40mph, mash the throttle and it just cruises around the corner..

So, the trill has changes from being on the ragged edge to the car going where I want it to go..

~Mark

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I say no, but thats a great story! cant wait till i get back and do pretty much the same mods to my car, all the parts are sitting in the garage
When are you planning on doing it?

·
Registered
442 Posts
hey spinning aint winning so i vote no. and you should add another poll for no but go ahead and buy a s/c for some more fun

1 - 17 of 17 Posts