Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious how many of you considered buying a classic mustang versus buying an 05 + mustang?

I personally did since it wasn't my daily driver just a fun car. Ultimately it came down to the comforts of the modern mustang had to offer over a classic. I wanted a car that I could drive across the state with, not just a Sunday ride around town.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I always wanted a classic mustang but then I ended up with a 1957 Chevy Bel Air. And then I got my S197. I still hope one day to own a classic stang though.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I just entered college when the '05 Mustang came out and fell in love with it. I made a promise to myself that when I got out of college and could afford one I would buy one....so I did last year. It's my baby and wouldn't trade it in for the world. I have always wanted a classic '69 - '70 and will someday own one. It will rattle the earth with 1000ft/lb of torque.... :grinroll:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm just curious how many of you considered buying a classic mustang versus buying an 05 + mustang?

I personally did since it wasn't my daily driver just a fun car. Ultimately it came down to the comforts of the modern mustang had to offer over a classic. I wanted a car that I could drive across the state with, not just a Sunday ride around town.

why cant you drive across the state with a classic?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I wanted a classic since many friends had 60's muscle cars when I was in school in the 70's. I was realistic that my time and wife's patience were too limited to do the work that would probably be needed. Also, having driven many of these cars, I remember the extent of 60's and 70's technology. When the S197 came out it seemed like the perfect compromise. Current day braking, handling, safety and convenience but with a retro feel. I got to order the car the way I wanted it and I'm not fixing someone else's mistakes or neglect. The parts I add to enhance the handling and to further the retro theme are readily available. I respect those that maintain the classics but I couldn't be happier with the solution Ford provided me.

·
Registered
297 Posts
purchased a 1968 coupe two years ago after owning my 1st in the late 1970's....loved both.

but with having a family and the poor economy, finances would not allow bringing it back to daily driver standards. and mine was in good condition.

sold it for a 2006 GT, enjoyed it for a year then recently traded up to a 2010 GT.

the 68's had true class and styling where the late model cars have the guts to compete with todays demands on a daily driver street car.

i'd buy another '68 in a minute, but a late model makes more sense (to me) as a daily driver.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've owned a dozen or so classics and recently sold the '66 GT convertible I owned for 10 years (453HP 448ft/lb. 331 stroker, built AOD, 3.89:1 9"). It was my daily driver from 2001 - 2003 and I drove from Dallas to Nashville and back in Mustangs Across America in 2004 for the Mustang 40th Anniversary show. It was a great car and I truly enjoyed it, but the classics are a major pain in the ass to keep up and can cost a fortune to do right. I had nearly $45k in it when I sold it and it still needed some work to be perfect.

I will own another one, but it will be a dedicated vintage road racer, much easier to keep up with than a show car/nice cruiser. No one at the race track cares if you have a rock chip in the paint or if the front right fender has the wrong date code, their too destracted by the racing tripes, gumballs, and sponsor stickers :). Plus, it is easier to use modern parts without spending a fortune in time and money trying to hide them.

If you've got the time and money they are a real blast.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had just sold my 70 chevelle and was looking for another when i fell in love with the 05 mustang... never been a ford guy nor a mustang guy til i got in one... love it to death want a v8 tho:yelwacko:

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Been looking for a 67-69 for a couple of years. Almost bought a 68 Shelby a couple of months ago but got a little gun shy.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have both but consider the 2006 a lot more fun to drive the 67 is almost work to drive

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I thought of a few Classics, from a 67 Shelby to a 70 Hurst Olds, and a 67 RS SS Camaro to a 69 SS Chevelle. But in the end I settled for a newer style Mustang. All the cars I mentioned were Faster than My Mustang and all were about the same money or less.
But I liked the new looks of the Mustang, that's what sold me. Plus the newer Technology was way better.
But now Im in Trouble....I love My Mustang, but after owning it I want a V8, the new 5.0 Looks Sweet and the added Power of it would give me the feeling of, No you cant, dont even try it, that's the feeling I want now:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
133 Posts
Classics versus Modern.

Ok, I have owned a lot of weird cars, at odd times. For most of 80's and all of the 90's my daily driver during the non winter months, was a 67 RS Camaro. During the winter I drove a 64 pontiac catalina, and a 68 Catalina was for my wife.

All of them were in excellent condition. The seats in all the cars, were not suited to long drives. I used to take the 68 Catalina for 500 mile drives to swap meats. The car always ran flawlessly, but by the time I got there , I was crippled by the seat. The 64 was used all winter long, and often on minus Zero days when fuel injected cars, would not start, the old girl fired up just fine. But again long drives were painfull.
Only the 68 had a/c. And none of them had cruise , tilt, fm, power locks, remotes, lumbar supports, reclining seats, pulse wipers, a;l stuff I have on my 05 ragtop. A car that I have put 8000 miles on in the last 100 days.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I at first was looking at maybe a 65 -68 mustang The thing is I didn't know how well it would travel and would it break down on a trip .When ford came out with the 05 it was the right match old style look and modern day comfort/features. I couldn't pass up on this car. Best thing I did other then marry my wife.

·
Registered
127 Posts
never been a ford guy nor a mustang guy til i got in one... love it to death want a v8 tho:yelwacko:
Same here!
I had looked at dozens of classic vehicles, when I suddenly became aware of the S197 series Mustangs, and it was love at first drive!:grinroll:

·
Registered
273 Posts
We bought my wife a 1968 Camaro 'vert (numbers matching) a few years ago. Slowly getting it in cool condition. Get a lot of compliments on it, but I get at least as many compliments on my 2006 GT 'vert.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I looked for a few months for a nicely modded Turbo Buick just for another toy. I just cant bring myself to mod mine since. Then I decided to go with something newer and less trouble.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Oh ya...I could of had a 71 J code...429 SCJ with drag pack. They only made 618 of them. Car was 2 blocks from my house and for sale. They guy wanted $2500 but it was all stripped down so I low-balled him at $1000. He said no. I went home and realized how stupid I was. Went back with cash the next day and the car was gone. I had been planning a full restoration on a car like this so I knew where to get parts and a shop to do the work. Just needed the car. So I spent my money on my 2006 and have loved it ever since. But now I think I'll be building a Cobra roadster. They have full kits and will even have a guy come to your house and build it in 7 days if you like. Some day...

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I was actually in the market for a '65 or '69 fastback that I could restore with my brother. Then I saw the concept car for the '05 and decided little brother was going to have to wait.

·
Registered
273 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.