Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lowered the rear 2 inches and bottoming out. Can i use coil overs to stiff it up. She needs new shocks anyway. 1973 convertible.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Don't use coil over shocks or air shocks both will in time bust through the upper shock mounts they are just sheet metal.Did you use lowering springs?You can get a load leveler aka add a leaf at any auto parts store you need one for each side it will lift it a inch preside.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Everytime I see a post on someone using lowering blocks the experience consensus says not to use more than 1" lowering blocks, if you need to go more than that you need different springs. 2" blocks will add a lot to stress to the springs/axle and introduce flex/sway and wheel hop probably. Have you ever replaced your leaf springs? If they are original then anything else you do is just a bandaid and not a fix. Bandaids always cause other problems, as mentioned above coilovers, airshocks ect. will just crack the trunk mount area and punch through eventually. The floor sheet metal was not designed to support the wt. of the car.
Jon

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks john.

I cut the blocks down to 1 inch. Shaved 1 inch from the bump stop and all is good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts