Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know if the only difference between the HO roller engine and the non HO roller engine was that the HO had forged pistons and the HO did not. Does anybody know is the block, crank and rods the same between the two of them. Is there any other differences. Please let me know if i am wrong. Thanks for any imput.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
The blocks are pretty much the same I think the non ho had cast crank but shouldnt really matter. The other difference is the firing order.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the HO have a steel crank and the non HO has a cast? I believe that the cam is what creates the firing order right? Please correct me if i'm wrong because that seem to be happening alot latley. Because i have a custom grind that is for a HO engine with the firing order 1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8. I was just mainly wondering if the block, crank and rods were the same. All imput helps, thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
514 Posts
h.o. motors had both forged and hyper pistons depending on the year. Non h.o. motors had flat tappets not rollers like H.o. motors had.

G

·
h.o. motors had both forged and hyper pistons depending on the year. Non h.o. motors had flat tappets not rollers like H.o. motors had.
Actually, non-HO 5.0s in the Crown Vic, Thunderbird, Grand Marquis, and LTD all had a roller cam. It used the 302 firing order instead of the 351w firing order, and the upper intake manifold was turned the opposite direction. To add more confusion to the mix, the Thunderbird also used the HO.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
perfect so if i buy a non HO roller engine from a 89 lincoln town car if i change the pistons the short block will be the same as an HO?

G

·
you really won't need to change the pistons

just install the H/C/I of your choice and you will be all set.......

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Perfect i thank you very much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.