Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Difference Between Shaker 500 and 1000?

28K views 48 replies 29 participants last post by  RiceRocktToMust 
#1 ·
I know the Shaker 1000 comes with the extra woofers and amp in the trunk but is this the only difference between the 500 and 1000? Is the head unit as well as the amp (s) and speakers used in the interior the same for both systems? I'm just thinking if the only difference is the bass box in the trunk would'nt it be much cheaper ( and better sounding) to simply buy a nice aftermarket box, woofers and amp?

#3 ·
For the $1300 it costs for the Shaker 1000, think of the amps and box you could put in that trunk. Bling bling.

#4 ·
loudog said:
For the $1300 it costs for the Shaker 1000, think of the amps and box you could put in that trunk. Bling bling.
It's a $1,700.00 option up here in Canada. I am a relatively old fart (41) and am outta touch with what amps and woofers are good value. Can anyone suggest a box, speaker and amp combo that would trump the factory system? Please advise regarding the price, I am not willing to shell out the big bucks for the Shaker 1000 but if I can get a comprable or better system for under 1k I would consider it. Thanks for your time.

#5 ·
Car audio choices and recommendations can be extremely opinionated, almost as bad as the ford/chevy debates. One person will tell you one brand is great and the next another brand.

With that being said I really enjoy the Polk Audio 2nd gen MOMO series. I think an MM12 with C500 mono block amp would deliver a crisp tight bass sound you'd be looking for VS the down the block and around the corner trunk rumbler.

#6 ·
Tastyone said:
It's a $1,700.00 option up here in Canada. . . .
It's a $1700 dollar option here in the US as well. But the difference (upgrade cost) between the Shaker 500 to Shaker 1000 is $1295 MSRP.

What do you get for the extra money ? ? ? Just 'TAKEN ' in my opinion.

I'm really surprised that anyone ordering a convertible would even want a Shaker 1000. The back seats don't lie down and when driving with the top down the quality of the acoustics coming from the speakers in the trunk have to sound somewhat muffled.

But like the previous said - 'everybody has their opinion'. If someone has that much money to spend on a 1000 watt stereo then more power to them. (No pun intended)

#7 ·
I thought about it (my trade in was worth more than a maxed out 05) but it doesn't look there is room for a couple sets of golf clubs...?? Can't have that! I might put a box up against the backseat and with that have room to pile in golf bags... Even if you could fit them with the 1000 how would the sub look after a few rides (quite a few in my case) boxing with the clubs or bottom of the bag...??

#8 ·
I have the 1000 and love it. The system sounds amazing for an optional factory system. As far as the golf clubs go . . . very true. I will have to put a seat down for those.

#9 ·
RDSox04 said:
I have the 1000 and love it. The system sounds amazing for an optional factory system. As far as the golf clubs go . . . very true. I will have to put a seat down for those.
Yeah but does it sound $1300 better than the 500w system. You're paying for 2 ten inch subwoofers and a 500w max amp. Even if you go for high dollar speakers and amp you can get the same thing aftermarket for less the $800. For $500 you can get good quality components. If you go cheap you can still get mostly name brand for $250. The $250 setup will probably perform as well as the $1295 factory upgrade.

#10 ·
This might sound silly, but I order it because I could. I have alway bought the reasonable vehicle. I'm 46, so figure if I'm going to do this, I was going to do it all. So why not, I'm not getting any younger! :thumbsup

#11 ·
66stang351 said:
Yeah but does it sound $1300 better than the 500w system. You're paying for 2 ten inch subwoofers and a 500w max amp. Even if you go for high dollar speakers and amp you can get the same thing aftermarket for less the $800. For $500 you can get good quality components. If you go cheap you can still get mostly name brand for $250. The $250 setup will probably perform as well as the $1295 factory upgrade.
I don't know. . go ahead and order/install that stuff and I will park next to you :tongue

#12 ·
I have the 1000 and although it sounds decent enough, I most likely would not have chosen had I ordered the car. Mine was a lot car and the 1000 just happened to be in there. Yes, I could have built a better system for $1,300, but truthfully I use the shaker option only when I'm playing the "boom-boom" music. I like a good deal of that music so the shaker gets used. But I'm in no way sorry that I have it. Is it overpriced? Youbetcha. So are about a million other things that I can think of. Although I wouldn't have ordered it, I don't mind having it.

#13 ·
Adding a sub

On a Shaker 500

Does anyone know if the power and and L/R preamp wiring is in place in the trunk?

If so is the audio signal full spectrum or only the low frequencies?

Do the main front and rear speakers recieve full spectrum or only the highs?

I notice the rear deck speakers are not very serious looking.

#14 ·
I thought alot about the 1000 vs 500 when I ordered my car, decided to order the 1000 hoping it would be good enough for me and I wouldnt have to put aftermarket in. I would say I prefer the aftermarket stuff normally, have 2 12" Fosgate DVC subs now with an 800Watt amp in my t-bird. I figured the cost of aftermarket would be comparable or less than the factory 1300 could buy, but didn't want to rip apart my brand new car so decided to give the 1000 a try. I actually am happy with it. It does have some good thump to it and decent sound quality. Maybe replacing some of the other factory speakers will give it a little crisper sound, but overall I would recommend it for the person who likes moderate aftermarket upgrades and doesnt want to rip apart thier new car to wire up aftermarket amps etc. Yes it may be 1300 bucks but it was worth it to me to have the car ready to go right when I got it. If you are alot more high end then I you still may want aftermarket stuff. Just my opinion. A friend of mine has the 500 though and without the extra subs I would definatly add aftermarket, it just does not sound as good with out the extra 500 watt kick.

#15 ·
RDSox04 said:
I don't know. . go ahead and order/install that stuff and I will park next to you :tongue
This could be argued forever andis basically an issue of preference. But I do have 2 12" 500w max speakers and a 1000w max amp here at home that I am pretty sure will out perform the 1300 dollar upgrade but I only payed about $450 for them brand new. So my preference is an afternoon running 4 wires vice paying an extra $850.

#16 ·
FireMedic90 has stated it correctly. It is defiantly one of the better stock systems I have heard and the bass (on the 1000) really does thump.

I too bought my stang off the lot and it had the Skipper 1000. My major issue with the system is that the midrange or the lake of midrange control. You have to turn the bass (with sub on) way down to get close to a good well rounded CD quality sound for rock and roll; specifically midrange guitar notes are hard to bring out. My guess is that if you listen to only hip-hop or classical, that have lots of highs and lows, then this system will work fine.

I have started upgrading my system and began with putting in a new Alpine head with integrated XM Satellite using a factory harness adaptor to tie into the factory amps and speakers. This is temporary till I have the time and money to build out the rest of the system with new amps and speakers. I have gotten use to XM and just can’t listen to commercials on regular radio any more (not to mention sound quality). One problem with the harness adapter is that it does not tie into the rear sub correctly. So I am really not using the rear sub now. I plan to tear back into the consol next week to see if I can build a jumper to correct this issue. (There is another post here about this harness issue.) The new head gave me more control of the midrange, but started to expose the limitations of the factor speakers at higher volumes.

beartracks, I hope to answer your questions on the speaker and amp wiring setup when I do pull the system back out next week and do some testing. And yes the rear deck speakers are not much to write home about.

#17 ·
I went with a Rockford Fosgate amp 1-12" Punch P2and a box that goes where the shaker 1000 box goes. I payed about $600 installed and my system blows away any shaker 1000 system away. I'm glad I didnt spend $1300 I used that money to buy 410's and steeda underdrive pullies:thumbsup

#18 ·
connections

I discussed the speaker wiring with a Crutchfield rep. Apparently the main front and rear speakers recieve full spectrum audio and are a good candidate for replacement with some 6"x9"s. I don't know yet if the rear bass wiring (trunk) is present without having the 1000 system or if it delivers only bass frequencies. I'm not even sure if its regular audio or digital maybe.

#19 ·
rocketism said:
I went with a Rockford Fosgate amp 1-12" Punch P2and a box that goes where the shaker 1000 box goes. I payed about $600 installed and my system blows away any shaker 1000 system away. I'm glad I didnt spend $1300 I used that money to buy 410's and steeda underdrive pullies:thumbsup
rocketism... What ohm P2 and which Rockford Fosgate amp did you go with? Where did you get the cabinet? And how did you compare it to the Shaker 1000 amp if you didn,t get one?

#21 ·
grnvlmike said:
Its all possible :hihi:

http://webpages.charter.net/mikemeehan/Nikita%20Index.htm

click the picture to enter... sorry about the "lack of friendly navigation" but I am not that good with websites, but the pictures and a little decrisption is available for some of them...

Also, it has not been updated in a while.. maybe do that tonight..

C-Ya!
Great pics of the install. Very professional look!

Maybe I just missed it, but do you plan to use a separate sub speaker/box or the rear speakers for bass? Also how is the heat around the amps in the space behind the seats?

Oh yea, how does it sound?

#22 ·
05GTPony said:
Great pics of the install. Very professional look!

Maybe I just missed it, but do you plan to use a separate sub speaker/box or the rear speakers for bass? Also how is the heat around the amps in the space behind the seats?

Oh yea, how does it sound?
Thanks.. took a lot of hours... I have 2 10' subs - pioneer dual vc's running off the 800 watt amp in a low profile ported box. I gotta get pictures of the set up on my site. Also, what you dont see is a 12volt fan built into the top of the rear seat enclosure. Its on a relay that comes on when the amps power up. It exausts into the trunk. Each amp also has its own built in fan...

And it rocks.. Its very "clean" and the MB Quarts are AMAZING!

#23 ·
The 500 is clean and crisp with good base, even at very high volume... and that's good enough for me. (more trunk room to boot). Why drown out the high notes with overwhelming base? I'll never get that! Unless.............no, never mind. I won't get into a music choice debate (I'll age myself........ I saw Jimmy Hendricks when he was playing backup in James Brown's band. )

#24 ·
rocketism said:
Thanks for the help rocketism, this is exactly what I wanted, comprable or better sound quality at haf the price:yup: Did you custom make the box or are there aftermarket ones out there that fit well in the factory location?

#25 ·
grnvlmike said:
Its all possible :hihi:

http://webpages.charter.net/mikemeehan/Nikita%20Index.htm

click the picture to enter... sorry about the "lack of friendly navigation" but I am not that good with websites, but the pictures and a little decrisption is available for some of them...

Also, it has not been updated in a while.. maybe do that tonight..

C-Ya!
Sweet install...mine is a work in progress at the moment. I got the stock system, since the dealer wouldn't let me get a car without one. I knew I was going to replace everything anyway! I have most of the stuff already, and I'm going to install it in stages. I have the Kenwood DDX7015 in dash dvd head unit in already. Next I have to get an amp and sub...I just have to see what fits in the small trunk. I may have ont custom made for the factory sub location. I was leaning toward the MBQuart components myself, and after seeing yours, it's settled! When it's all said and done, I'll have the dvd in dash, a music keg, Sirius satellite radio, components in the front, 6x8 3 ways in the back, and most likely a 12" sub (maybe 2 10") in the trunk.

Attachments

#26 ·
byoung2 said:
Sweet install...mine is a work in progress at the moment. I got the stock system, since the dealer wouldn't let me get a car without one. I knew I was going to replace everything anyway! I have most of the stuff already, and I'm going to install it in stages. I have the Kenwood DDX7015 in dash dvd head unit in already. Next I have to get an amp and sub...I just have to see what fits in the small trunk. I may have ont custom made for the factory sub location. I was leaning toward the MBQuart components myself, and after seeing yours, it's settled! When it's all said and done, I'll have the dvd in dash, a music keg, Sirius satellite radio, components in the front, 6x8 3 ways in the back, and most likely a 12" sub (maybe 2 10") in the trunk.
Nice looking unit! Where did you get the dash kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.