Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a 89 upper and lower intake with 24# injectors and just realized (i wasnt going to use it) that the 89 lower intake has rectangle ports going into the intake where the lower intake on my 88 has oval ports.... the 89 intake seems to have way bigger ports... but both uppers havethe same oval ports....

which lower intake is better?

and why would they keep the upper intake the same if they made the ports bigger on the lower intake.

or is the lower intake different?

i wanna make the right decision.......

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
All 87-93 5.0 mustang intakes(with the exception of the 93 cobra) should be the same. Sounds like one of the intakes are ported or you might even have a lower of a truck. But if the upper intakes are the same then more than likely one of the intakes are ported. Can you post some pics?

·
Registered
455 Posts
ya that is a weird one :scratchchin, pictures would be very helpful, I am interested in seeing this lower intake.

·
Registered
174 Posts
no problem i will get some pics on here of it.
it just sucks cuase if it is a better lower intake and we just spent time painting and cleaning and porting the old lower intake....
and trust me the one that is still in question still has larger ports....

on the intake in questionthey are all rectangle and in a even row just like the lower intake on my 88....

oh and to answer the earier comment......
the ports in the upper are oval.. and some one ported the heck out of it........ there still oval and mated that up to the rectangle port.. and they are perfect rectangles.... so i dont think they have been ported...

if its a truck lower intake, is it better?
cuasei am thinking that if it is better about buying a max box and potting that in its place this summer....

here is a casting number that was on the intake if anyone can find info on it.

RF-E6SE-9K461-D3A

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eagle, i am baffled

there are no oval ports... its all rectangle i will get a pic and see if i can put it on here

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
That intake/number you gave is supposed to have the same ports as the stock upper which means oval. Sounds like it's definately hogged out. That picture would probably help.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I bet it's ported if it has a stock upper intake on it. Holley and Vortec have lowers with square(ish) runners but their uppers don't look anythhing like stock.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i kind of feel foolish now, you guys are correct it is a stock lower... it was late anfter putting the motor back together... who ever had it originally ported ther heck out of it....not much side wall left....
kind of wished i saw that originally, i would have used it....

has anyone used the max box upper intake from jegs?

is it worth buying one of those for $300 and porting it to match the lower ported intake? or is it better to spend the extra money on a cobra or gt-40? or go for better?

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Those box style intakes make lots of power, mainly in the upper rpm range because the shorter runners promote horsepower over torque.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so with me having the lower intake ported out so much, is it more worth my money buying the max box or buying something like a cobra or other stock looking intake

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I think you'd be dissapointed in the way the box drives on the street.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I do too, you tend to lose bottom end torque with those box intakes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank for the help guys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.