Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What changed on the '13 gt from previous years? What I have so far:

- a few more hp
- new front and rear
- sequential tail lights
- new gauges ( I think )

I'm looking to upgrade from my 88 gt. Just trying to figure out if there were large changes that would make the '13 a "better" car.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You've got most of it, more or less. Most people think the extra eight HP was achieved by editing the brochure. Sequential turn signals in the rear aren't new on the 2013s, but the design of the lights is. The Brembo brake package is now available on cars with automatic transmissions. The comfort package now includes the (some would say goofy) pony projector lights in the outside mirrors. HID headlights are now standard across the board. Skip-shift was eliminated on manual trans cars. And so on and so forth.

Bottom line, apart from the obvious styling changes, they're all basically the same car. Small evolutionary changes; nothing revolutionary.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You've got most of it, more or less. Sequential turn signals in the rear aren't new on the 2013s, but the design of the lights are.
When did they add the sequential lights? For accuracys sake.

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Power increase to 420 from 412 is subjective. Every dyno I have seen, the 13 puts down the same exact power as an 11 & 12 5.0. Every Mustang magazine has also said the 11 & 12 5.0 is underrated. The 13 has a different mid-range curve on a dyno; but imo, the 11 & 12 should have been rated at 420 also.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Also new on the 2013 GTs are the louvers in the hood. They're a functional change, to help extract heat from the engine bay, but obviously affect styling as well. When I raise the hood of my 2012 GT and get hit by the blast of hot air, I can see why Ford's engineers thought these louvers were a good idea. But I also think Ford's stylists could have done a better job integrating them into the hood design. They ARE functional, but to my eye they almost look fake.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Track pack option for the '13 gives you Boss radiator and oil cooler, plus a Torsen differential. Not sure what the track pack gives you on the 11-12's. Reacaros are also available as an option. Track apps and digital gauges are very nice.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Track pack option for the '13 gives you Boss radiator and oil cooler, plus a Torsen differential. Not sure what the track pack gives you on the 11-12's. Reacaros are also available as an option. Track apps and digital gauges are very nice.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
There was only the Brembo pkg. on the '11&'12s. Track pack is new for '13.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Don't forget "Hill Assist" for the manual. :smilie

·
Registered
112 Posts
Did the 11 and 12s have my color gauges? Track apps are new I know, well for premiums only.
Oh yeah and the first year for the bestest color evar! Deep Impact Blue

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Did the 11 and 12s have my color gauges?
The '11s and '12s certainly did, and I'm reasonably certain '10s did too.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Did the 11 and 12s have my color gauges? Track apps are new I know, well for premiums only.
Oh yeah and the first year for the bestest color evar! Deep Impact Blue
Yes, the 11 & 12's had the color gauges.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Also new on the 2013 GTs are the louvers in the hood. They're a functional change, to help extract heat from the engine bay, but obviously affect styling as well. When I raise the hood of my 2012 GT and get hit by the blast of hot air, I can see why Ford's engineers thought these louvers were a good idea. But I also think Ford's stylists could have done a better job integrating them into the hood design. They ARE functional, but to my eye they almost look fake.
Forget the engine bay! I can feel the heat radiating into the cabin. A/C is always cranking and I really don't need the heater when it's cold out lol

·
Registered
117 Posts
It doesn't matter. The engine is STILL hot, even with the louvres. :confused: At least to 'human' heat perception. Opening the hood is a little 'warm.' LOL!

They must work pretty well, regardless, as even on the hottest of days, my trackapps display of my cylinder-head temps only shows a peak of 223 or so, max, and usually runs 208-213 - typically.

When I raise the hood of my 2012 GT and get hit by the blast of hot air, I can see why Ford's engineers thought these louvers were a good idea. But I also think Ford's stylists could have done a better job integrating them into the hood design. They ARE functional, but to my eye they almost look fake.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Don't forget "Hill Assist" for the manual. :smilie
OK… please explain the hill assist in a manual transmission other than a downshift or a more clutch slippage leaving from a dead stop on a hill… thank you.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
OK… please explain the hill assist in a manual transmission other than a downshift or a more clutch slippage leaving from a dead stop on a hill… thank you.
From Ford documentation:

The feature helps keep the car from rolling backward, making it easier to pull away when on a slope or hill. With the brake pedal pressed, if sensors detect the car is on a slope, the system is automatically activated. Brake pressure is held in the braking system and the car remains stationary on the slope for up to two seconds after the driver releases the brake pedal.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think peeps have missed a big one - the oil squirters under the pistons! I believe that these were deleted sometime during the 2012 production run. Cost and install complexity were the drivers. Too bad since most hi-po cars use some sort of lower positive oiling rather than just what we call "splash lubrication". Some speculate that the reduced windage accounts for the 8 HP rating difference, but I doubt it. Note that as I recall, the new GT500 has oil squirters while previous ones did not. So apparently someone at Ford Powertrain realizes that engines under stress benefit from them, windage be damned! I am glad my car has them. It may be a selling point down the road. Another reason to install the FRPP oil cooler, since the squirted oil will pull more heat.

·
Registered
910 Posts
From Ford documentation:

The feature helps keep the car from rolling backward, making it easier to pull away when on a slope or hill. With the brake pedal pressed, if sensors detect the car is on a slope, the system is automatically activated. Brake pressure is held in the braking system and the car remains stationary on the slope for up to two seconds after the driver releases the brake pedal.
I have been doing that for decades using the hand brake when necessary.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts