Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see tons of aftermarket shifters for manual trannys, but how about for the automatic? I don't like the little horizontal T-bar shifter, it doesn't fit me and the button is flimsy-feeling, doesn't click in nice and solid like my truck does. I would prefer a pistol-grip orientation instead of horizontal. Is there such a thing?

G

·
SunBoss said:
I see tons of aftermarket shifters for manual trannys, but how about for the automatic? I don't like the little horizontal T-bar shifter, it doesn't fit me and the button is flimsy-feeling, doesn't click in nice and solid like my truck does. I would prefer a pistol-grip orientation instead of horizontal. Is there such a thing?
I'm glad somebody finally admitted it. My first impression when I test drove an auto, the shifter looks like something out of a "B" sci-fi movie, "thrust modulator" or sumn.
I know the high end drag shifters look sweet but, have'nt seen any "low cost street" mods yet.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I LOVE MY SHIFTER! I LOVE MY SHIFTER! :laughlitt

It reminds me of the auto shifter I had in my '67 Mustang. A modern take on the '67/68 styling. Hmmm. Where have I heard that before? :rolleyes: :wavey

·
Registered
350 Posts
Another thing that drives me a bit crazy is the tarnished/worn area at the bottom. As you shift it down to first and to park...after a while, a scum line builds up at the bottom from it rubbing on that cover.

I kind of like the look, but I would really have liked a Shift-tronic type option.
Yeah...I know.....B-itch,B-tch,B-tch!

Has anyone had this worn spot show on theirs....and have you been able to clean it??

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
05LegendLime said:
Another thing that drives me a bit crazy is the tarnished/worn area at the bottom. As you shift it down to first and to park...after a while, a scum line builds up at the bottom from it rubbing on that cover.

I kind of like the look, but I would really have liked a Shift-tronic type option.
Yeah...I know.....B-itch,B-tch,B-tch!

Has anyone had this worn spot show on theirs....and have you been able to clean it??
Hey 05,
You mean on that flimsy pastic strip? That's going to break sooner or later. I have the same thing. It reminds me of my wifes old 1988 Grand Cherokee … same type plastic crapolla.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, that slide strip will scratch after a while (I had a rental a while back with about 12K on it and the strip was all scuffed up). The other problem would seem to be the O/D button on the right side of the 'T'.

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think Ford could have done a better job on it.
Billet shifter or something, and not cheap out on the sliders or window.
For such a high tech tranny, it deserved better.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i have only 7k miles on my car and the slide strip already broke off they replaced it under warantee but that should not have happened i would love a new shifter!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think I have to go on the record to say that I really like my Automatic shifter! :cool:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Crazy001 said:
I think I have to go on the record to say that I really like my Automatic shifter! :cool:
I have no problem with the appearance of the shifter, just the quality.
If you compare it to say a Starshifter or Quicksilver there is no comparison.
I was just a bit disapointed that Ford put so much into the transmission redesign (which is fantastic) and then topped it off with a cheap toy like shifter.
Bean counters can really take a toll on great designs.
I cant wait to see what the aftermarket's answer is.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hmmm, ok I looked a little harder at em and they probalby won't work... doh, i'm special, sorry.

They don't have an OD button... my bad

·
Registered
10 Posts
According to B&M's web site, they are in R & D on a shifter for our stangs. They have a spot in there asking for donor cars so they can work them out. I would love to see a quicksilver version for our cars.

A N T I C I P A T I O N............

·
Registered
28 Posts
crdshrp said:
yeah those definately wont work...damn o/d button!
I wonder if you wired the O/D button to a separate button that was installed on the console some place. It seems to be just a momentary NO switch.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bicbehr said:
I wonder if you wired the O/D button to a separate button that was installed on the console some place. It seems to be just a momentary NO switch.
Hmm, I have never used the O/D off button, even in the mountains. LOL, I want it to stay in that mighty tall 5th for as long as possible at high speeds to get me some better mpgs...

I'll be glad to beta test someone's new design. My little plastic strip is getting scratched up too, boohoo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts