Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after buying some things that I probably wouldn't have if I had asked here first (like Pro Comp heads, and more than one original style CVR), I thought I would do better this time.

In my 66 with a 302, I have added an AOD trans. I would like to change from the original gears. I am thinking 3.80, with some sort of traction unit. Also would like to go with 1967 or later case because it is supposedly stronger. That would seem to pretty much bring me to buying a new (rebuilt) third member.

I have found a few on line that would seem to fit the bill, and seem to be about the going price.

Just Rear Ends - Product Display

1967 – 1973 Mercury Cougar Ford Mustang Traction Locking 8 Inch Center Sections – with new Trac-Loc - Rebuilt at West Coast Classic Cougar :: Specializing in 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, and 1973 Mercury Cougars

Any comments, recommendations, thoughts?

·
Registered
454 Posts
With the AOD I ran 3.55 gears but 3.8 would also be good for cruising. As far as the rear, since you won't be banging it with a clutch, the 8" should hold up, but if you go to rally big tires you may want to look into a 9"

·
Registered
435 Posts
A 9" is basically a bolt up deal from what I have read. I cant verify that from experience though. Many 9" rears came with 3.55's, 3.73's, 3.80's... Some where in there would get you a responsive take off but still be able to cruise the interstates. Those can be found in police crown vics pretty easily. I got a smokin deal on an 8.8 with 3.73's and trac loc, so I relocated the spring perches to allow use of that. Everything else (e-brake) was an easy bolt up. 8.8's are a dime a dozen and many came with 31 spline axle shafts and trac-loc. Nearly as strong (arguably, equally as strong) as a 9". If you can find one without an offset diff, that might be worth looking at. Because mine is a '67, it has a wider trans tunnel which allowed for the use of a rear with an offset diff. No clearence issues.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies so far. I am only going to be using this on the street, so I will probably stay with the 8 in. One thing I forgot to ask---- some third members come with Trac-loc, some with True-trac. What is the difference?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cindys sn95--- one of the sites I'm looking at lists both type of lockers, with a different price for each. Has me confused.

As for the Procomp - I have found nothing wrong with them. The engine builder said they looked as good as any other they see. BUT-- they seem to be a dirty word on every forum where they are mentioned. Several people that seem to know a lot more than me say they will develop problems. If I had read that first, I probably would have just spent the extra to get a proven brand.

So now I'm checking to see if anyone heard of these vendors', good or bad, and if they have any recommendations of others I should check.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
most of the fox guys with aod's run 4.10 gears...I wouldn't run anything less with an aod..they're power sapping trannies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts