Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone could tell me if yes or no a Detroit locker is a streetable differential?

I want to upgrade the rearend with beefier stuff than the OEM.
The intent to to install a detroit locker, 31 splines axles, LCA from Global West and aluminium driveshaft.

The car will mainly be street driven with 5-7 visits to the strip over summer time. Slicks are used at the track and this is where I am concern for the differential. I want it durable anf reliable (things I already conviced about the detroit locker), my main issue with it is how "streetable" a detroit locker is? never had any chance to drive a car with such differential. The truetrac model one from the same compagny that made the detroit locker is very similar to the Torsen concept and seems to me more road race oriented where appreciable horsepower might be seen but applied less radically that drag race type.

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Lockers are not streetable. Whenever you take a turn, the outside wheel will skip (not something you want it to do on a rainy day.) The True Trac is what you need. It acts just like a locker when going in a straight line but will allow you to take the turns without the wheels skipping.

·
Registered
688 Posts
My friend put the Powertrax differential in his 1998 cobra and it was awesome. It is made by Richmond. It used to spin the tires like all hell if you stomped on it like say rolling in second, but after putting that in, the MOST it did was chirp a few times but I never lost traction while driving. The one thing you would have to get used to is going through turns. If you try to accelerate too fast in a turn both tires WILL engage and the inner tire will start to chirp (which is def not goo especially in the rain). But you will get used to it with time. I am going to be installing one in my 93 GT. Hope this helps

·
Registered
11 Posts
detroit locker

Ford used to put these in their factory hipo cars. I had a 67 Fairlane with the 427 in it way back when. The unit was awesome. The main problem with them is they are really noisy when turning corners. Mine used to get a freewheeling sound(whirring noise) when going around corners. Once the car was going straight again it would make a noticeable bang sound. It used to scare the **** out of people who were riding in the car for the first time. They are a good unit, but they are pricey and there are other alternatives that might work better for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a Detroit in the back of my Jeep. Never had any problems on the street. If I have the $$ when I rebuild the rear in my car it's getting one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i've been wondering also what differential to get but i was going to go with either the torsen (which i've read is structually stronger than the tru-track), or detroit locker they are both around $500. Same with me im only going to the track in the summer and want a tough streetable diff. that can handle drag radials if not drag tires.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Detroit Locker

Group

I have had posi in the past. I have Trac-loc or what ever on my 04. But when I put the nine inch in my 69 there was no question. The Detroit locker went in at the same time. Just get use to the fact that if you take a 90 degree turn like in a neighbor hood the outside tire ratchets and you will get churping. Get use to it because when you go pedel to the metal hold on to your ba__s because your curly hair has done gone straight. Do you think Eleanor has a pansy ass posi. You are going to take it to the big dance at the local strip. You don't want figure S's off the line waist of time. You want to kick butt and take names later.

Jess

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I have a Detroit Locker in my 4x4. I would never reccomend a locker in anything but a dedicated drag race car. The locker under acceleration, forces both wheel to spin as one which affects turns. On ice with a locker, your wrecked, since you loose an anchor tire which you would have in an open diff . Go with some type of LSD for the street like a true trac.

·
Registered
47 Posts
just got an email back from a tech at torsen and pretty much if you do drag racing with any kind of drag tire you will greatly increase wear and it will not hold up long to that kind of use, so from that im gonna go with the detroit locker dont give a crap about a click here and there i just want strength and reliability. But the cheapiest i found them for is $575 any one find them cheaper and where please give web site.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Locker

I was fortunate, right now I am not sure which but I hit a sale at Summit or Jegs and got mine for $450.00 and free shipping, Really check around, Let the local speed shops or rear end shops pay the fraight. Sometimes at the big shows retailers will have them. I have 255x60x15 Goodrich TA Radials 9 inch rear 3.70 gears and the Detroit Locker with the old fashion Shelby Traction Masters again I will say I get a little chirping on a tight fast 90 degree turn on dry roads and I have to pedel it on wet roads, that is a given you know that with a Locker. But when I want to put the pedel to the metal at the strip or street and I brake stand and drop it I'm smoking it straight down. No slip, no slide no S's.

You do not play in the water with a Locker unless you have a death wish and a great insurance policy!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.