Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9 inch ford 3rd member with this code stamped on it:
C6AW-D

I already know it has 3.5 gear set, but im trying to figure out if its limited slip, open, locking or what. I can't be sure if its 31 spline or 28 spline. I've tried to use some online decoders but it I cant seem to get a positive ID. Oh BTW the case is a C7AW-E11 if that helps at all. If anyone can help ID this it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
One of the carrier nuts should have a metal tag under it. If that's gone, then the axle has been apart and anything is possible. Leave one rear wheel on the ground. Raise the other. Put the trans in neutral, brake off. Turn the wheel. If it moves freely, you have a conventional axle. If it does not, or moves with difficulty, you have a limited slip axle.

·
Registered
503 Posts
you know its a 9 inch and you know its 3.50 gears so to find out if its limited slip or open, put the jack under the pumpkin and jack up the whole rear end so that both wheels move freely. Turn one wheel. If the other wheel moves in the opposite direction, its an open differential. If the other wheel moves in the same direction its limited slip.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
The wheel turning test would have worked when the car was new. However, after a zillion miles a limited slip can be so worn out that the wheels turn exactly as if it were an open diff. I know, mine was that way when I bought it with only 95k miles on the clock.

The only way to REALLY know is to pull it out and see if there are the remains of a limited-slip clutch pack inside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts