Ford Mustang Forum banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
The gauges are driven by stepper motors with the needles just pushed on them. You could fix that 3 mph difference by just popping the needle off and repositioning it. The digital reading is the value the computer is sending to the gauge.

There is no direct connection between the Mustang gauges and any of the sensors. The computer reads the values from the sensors and then sends the inputs to the gauges. Since the gauges are zero'd as you turn on the ignition (watch them flip back and forth), there is a mechanical aspect to making them match the computer input. When stepper motors begin to fail they don't find the right zero point and the readings go way off. This was a common failure on earlier Mustangs.

Bruce

·
Registered
6 Posts
You don't like the exhaust?? I've heard the weak factory 2010.... lets be real here. The 2011's sounds fifty times better. But yet you talk down about the all new 2011 Mustang GT featuring the new 5 liter dohc 32 valve V8 with the latest innovations in variable cam timing? But yet you still want one.:smoke:
Lets be real here. the worst thing about the 2011's are the exhaust notes "featuring the all new 5 liter dohc 32 valve v8" hell the old fox bodies through 2010 sound better. my 370z sounds better and i hate v6 exhaust notes. the tone and coarseness of the 2011 gt just dont do the car justice for the "new 5 liter dohc 32 valce V8"... I just like repeating that since it must be cool.

on a side note the digital readout is pretty cool. and the scanguage that someone posted is a very nice diagnostic tool. not to be confused with the tool known as i wanagofast2010.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My attempt was successful!
Have CEL bacause of cats delete and my SCT (which disables O2 sensors) is still on the way to me.

·
Registered
532 Posts
oook, it doesn't do half the stuff you just said for one. also you need only press the reset button, not both. and 2.. you cannot tamper with anything in hec. its only for informational purposes. the only thing you are right about is it that is more accurate on reading you speed since ALL vehicles have a 0-3mph lapse between what the pcm is a reading and it transmitting to the gauge cluster. dont dont act like you know what you talking about when you really dont. have a nice day. i been a tech for 6 years and we never even use this crap its useless and you are paying for it!!
Hmm... Is there a coherent thought somewhere in there that I missed?

·
Registered
631 Posts
No, I just talk down to you hating on the 2010. The exhaust in the 2010 that I test drove was very very quiet, I drove both back-to-back and the 2011 was too quiet (perhaps it is the difference between manual/auto.) Others have felt the same way about the exhaust.
I wholeheartedly agree. My dad has a '10 GT and the I have an '11 GT. We lined them up side by side, turned them on and then listened to both of them from outside of the cars. The '10 GT 3V is very obviously louder than my 5.0 is. The 5.0 *is* too quiet. The sound quality of the 4.6 is better, IMO, as well. It's deeper and has more bass.

I remedied that by switching to a set of GT500 ABs. :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wish Ford has a Heads up display like GM.
Miss that feature.
This!
I love the HUD on my buddy's GTP.

Also, why it seems very cool to have a digital readout of your speed, I can't figure out how so many people have such a hard time reading these gauges.
For me, they're big, bright, and very easy to tell how fast I'm going.

·
Registered
21 Posts
all this and we still don't have a tire pressure readout???! wtf?!

Reactions: crjackson

·
Registered
734 Posts
Those of you with the Nav option in your mustangs can hold down the 3&6 buttons for a few seconds while stopped, and you can access all sorts of other tests and diagnostics... including one which will display fault codes!

Just... beware the speaker test at the beginning. If you're not ready for it, it'll scare the crap out of you. You've been warned. You can cancel it via touch-button at the bottom right corner of the screen.

·
0 Posts
Still no way for the digital speedo to stay without having to turn it on everytime?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Still no way for the digital speedo to stay without having to turn it on everytime?
Simply put, nope. Sorry. Your only option if you want constant digital speedo is an aftermarket setup - either GPS or a bluetooth OBD2 scanner setup/phone app combo. GPS is both simpler and, generally, more accurate. The phone/OBD2 combo gives you a lot more functionality, though. Torque is a great app for Android.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I built this using a Garmin dash mount and an iPhone holster clip. I mounted a ram ball on the back of the holster and used a female to female connector to attach it to the Garmin mount.

I use the phone as a hud and GPS and having it on the dash keeps it in my line of sight instead of looking down.

You can get the dash mount and iPhone clip for this at Best Buy and ramball adapter from ram.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've tried and tried, my car will not do this feature!! Its a base model. I wonder if my FRPP tune somehow locked out or disabled access to it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
My new 2014 V-6 Premium could definitely use this as an option, especially with all the speed trap little towns here on the Oregon coast. When they post 30 MPH, it better be 30 MPH!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Works perfectly on my 2013, I've been wanting this for a while!

·
Registered
11 Posts
It would seem that if enough of us sent in an engineering complaint to Ford Corporate, we may be able to get them to release a software fix/update. I already have. I don't give a damn about the track mode data on my display. (I drive my 2014 like an old lady). All the track mode data is digitally derived, so the speed data is there, they just need to program the display to show speed instead of the fancy pony in the middle of the console.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Digital display:speed, on 2014 Mustang Premium

I just found this info on another thread. If you hold down the OK button on the left hand side of the steering wheel, then turn key on, you will enter into Engineering test mode. go thru several screens (maybe 10?) you get to digital speed display.

As in the older models, this is reset when you turn off the key.

If all this data is there, why don't they give us the option to customize our display? Happy customers mean more sales!!!!

101 - 120 of 121 Posts