Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering which would give me better performance? Should I get a direct replacement exhaust that bolts on to your stock y pipe?, or should I buy a new h pipe and a true duel exhaust system?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I dont have a six but I'm fairly certain that I read some where (possibly here on our forum's.) that the six doesnt gain anything performance wise with an H pipe other than a better sound. I belive it has something to do with the firing order of the motor and the way the pulses travel through the system. Some one please correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
STONECOLD said:
I dont have a six but I'm fairly certain that I read some where (possibly here on our forum's.) that the six doesnt gain anything performance wise with an H pipe other than a better sound. I belive it has something to do with the firing order of the motor and the way the pulses travel through the system. Some one please correct me if im wrong.
You're talking about straight dual pipes . ..

Testing shows more power, but not as much as an 8.

The inline firing order means you only pick up power on the 3-4 & 6-1 sequence.

The muffler change alone will get you 7 hp or so, the dual exhaust CAN lose you hp, if the diameter is too big.

if you have the right size 2"-2.25" a dual exhaust with an h-pipe will get you 12-16 hp

a y-piped will get you 10-12.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
V6racer04 said:
Which one would give me better 0-60 and 1/8 mile performance?
on a nearly stock system, you can't beat Bassani or Spintech.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree the six doesn't gain much from the h-pipe. I have one on my 04 mustang i didn't see any noticeable difference from the exhaust system I have ( Mac true dual). If your interested in a cheap performance adder go with a programmer. I barely pulled on a stock 01 v6 before the programmer, but with a programmer a pulled a car length through every gear until 4th where he gave up

·
Registered
15 Posts
V6racer04 said:
how much power will an 87 octane performance tune give you on a programmer?

I have a max micro tuner and I didn't use the 87 octane program I used the 91-93 octane program. I predict 8-12HP and At least 15Ibs of torque. It really made a difference, more than my exhaust and CAI combined

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
philmac said:
I have a max micro tuner and I didn't use the 87 octane program I used the 91-93 octane program. I predict 8-12HP and At least 15Ibs of torque. It really made a difference, more than my exhaust and CAI combined

The big jump also has to do with your having the mods already on the car, you wouldn't see that much of a jump, without being able to download a tune for dual exhaust, etc.

Build your foundation 1st, and you reap big rewards later . ..

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
V6racer04 said:
If I get magnaflows 2.5in direct replacement exhaust system, how much hp would I gain or lose?
you should be able to bank on a 12-16 hp gain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.