Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have noticed the 12V receptacle in the front of the vehicle (between the vents) still provides power when the vehicle is off, while the 12V receptacle in the center console compartment does not provide power while off.

My question is, does anyone know how one could alter the front dash receptacle to behave like the center console receptacle? Is it a simple wiring issue?

Despite my engineering degree I really have limited knowledge on electrical/car stuff so if anyone has ideas about this please do share in detail :) I have a 2014 V6 Premium.

Thank you!

Matt.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Both outlets should have battery (constant) power unless something is different in the '14 compared to '11 and '12 models - possible but doubtful.

To change them to ignition controlled power, you will have to rewire. And since they are each fused individually at the Battery Junction Box under the hood (20A fuses #F5 and #F22), you'll have to rewire them both separately - there's no common power supply wire that connects to both.

Rewiring is no big deal electrically... there are several ignition switched sources in the Smart Junction Box (the fuse panel behind the right side kick panel) that you could use for power supply. The difficulty will be gaining access to the back of the power ports and routing your new wires.

If you want to ensure minimal impact on the factory circuits, you should use relays wired to an ignition switched source in the SJB to switch the existing constant power on and off. The relay coil won't have any impact on your ignition source and you'll still have the full 20A power supply to each outlet.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Bird is right, but if you just want simple how about getting to the wire at the one you want shut off and splicing in a toggle switch? You'ld have to toggle it yourself but it would be easier although not as nice.

side note......Bird in another thread you posted pics of the T/A I wanted to say nice ride.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts