Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP I have a 1995 V6 3.8l Mustang. I have been having an overheating problem for about 2 years that has gotten a lot worse this month. At first I would have to top off the coolant(about 1/2 to 1 gallon) every 2-3 weeks. I had no visible leaks. Now, it's every other day. I have a small leak from what appears to be - not the water pump - but the housing that the water pump mounts to. I have read and been told the about 5 different "proper" ways to fill the cooling system. Can anyone tell me the proper way to do this (including the logic behind the method). Using a combination of all the ways I have heard, I fill it like this: I fill the radiator to just below the neck and loosen the bleeder valve on the top of the engine and turn the vent inside the car on HOT and LOW. I start the engine, close the bleeder valve, and get the engine to running temp, when the top hose feels hot. The water will soon begin to boil but the fan won't come on right away, even though the dash temp guage pointer goes up to the M or L on NORMAL. After about 20 minutes of boiling, the fan will come on and the coolant level will drop drastically, like about 3 quarts worth (where is the coolant going???). I will then top the coolant off and put the radiator cap on. I loosen the bleeder valve until the air is gone and a solid liquid stream comes out.

That's it... Am I doing it wrong?? Can anyone explain all the components of the cooling system, or point me to a site that diagrams it. I want to know all the sensors, relays, valves, etc... The way I understand the cooling system, now, the symptems make no logical sense...

Please help.

Thanks Ray DT

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
RayDT said:
HELP I have a 1995 V6 3.8l Mustang. I have been having an overheating problem for about 2 years that has gotten a lot worse this month. At first I would have to top off the coolant(about 1/2 to 1 gallon) every 2-3 weeks. I had no visible leaks. Now, it's every other day. I have a small leak from what appears to be - not the water pump - but the housing that the water pump mounts to. I have read and been told the about 5 different "proper" ways to fill the cooling system. Can anyone tell me the proper way to do this (including the logic behind the method). Using a combination of all the ways I have heard, I fill it like this: I fill the radiator to just below the neck and loosen the bleeder valve on the top of the engine and turn the vent inside the car on HOT and LOW. I start the engine, close the bleeder valve, and get the engine to running temp, when the top hose feels hot. The water will soon begin to boil but the fan won't come on right away, even though the dash temp guage pointer goes up to the M or L on NORMAL. After about 20 minutes of boiling, the fan will come on and the coolant level will drop drastically, like about 3 quarts worth (where is the coolant going???). I will then top the coolant off and put the radiator cap on. I loosen the bleeder valve until the air is gone and a solid liquid stream comes out.

That's it... Am I doing it wrong?? Can anyone explain all the components of the cooling system, or point me to a site that diagrams it. I want to know all the sensors, relays, valves, etc... The way I understand the cooling system, now, the symptems make no logical sense...

Please help.

Thanks Ray DT
Better check your engine oil. Sounds like a head gasket failure.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Bam its a 95, im guessing it wasent taken in on the recall to get the HG fixed....or it could be the coolant gnomes again.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
check your oil, if it looks milky then your having a head gasket falure and need to fix that asap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can almost promise you it's your head gaskets! Mine are being replaced tomorrow(this is twice). My coolent was disappering and I had over heating. Then my oil started to disappear. But the big thing that determined my head gaskets was the huge amount of white smoke coming out the exhaust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.