Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished the install of a disc brake conversion from Stainless Steel brakes, kit A121.
http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/detail/428/?make=Ford&model=Mustang&year=1967

The kit came with a proportioning valve that is supposed to be installed after the distribution block from the master cylinder on the rear brake lines.

Has anyone put one of these in and can suggest a good place to install it? Is it really needed? It is easy to assume to put it on the fendor apron but the plumbing would seem to be a bit of a pain. Under the car might be easier but not so easy to adjust. Also, how to get the flaring tool onto the existing lines would be a pain.

Any suggestions from those who have "been there, done that?"

·
Registered
110 Posts
The valve is mandatory. It prevents the rear drums from locking. Mount it anywhere near the distirbution block. You may need to go to a parts shop for custom fittings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you bypass the distribution block for the rear lines and went from the master cylinder straight to the proportioning valve and then to the rear lines?

·
Registered
810 Posts
jmpotter said:
Did you bypass the distribution block for the rear lines and went from the master cylinder straight to the proportioning valve and then to the rear lines?
Rear line goes to prop, then to rear distribution block and not into the front distrubution block on the fender (as seen in picture). My SSBC kit came with a cap to block off the rear line output of the front distibution block.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I played with a bit last night and left the original line from the master cylinder to the distribution block on the fender for the rear lines alone. I then went from the output for the rear line on the distribution block to the proportioning valve, then to the existing line for the rear brakes. Any issues doing it this way? I didn't get to drive it yet as I still have a lot of bleeding to do. Hopefully I can get rid of the soft pedal!

What does the distribution block on the fender do for the rear lines anyway as it is a one in to one out line, unlike the fronts where it is one in and two out, just provide a short line termination point?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
810 Posts
If this was 65/6 distribution block there would be a large issue doing it that way

The 65/6 front distribution block is designed for jelly jar so all lines are interconnect with only a single input because of the single chamber MC

However, I see you have a 67 which I had not noticed before and the 67 is plumbed/works differnetly. Yes plumbing in the prop valve like that should be fine.

The rear line goes to a second distribution block located on the rear axle...that's why only one line leaves the front for the rear brakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.