Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to figure out the differences if any between front disc brake components between 1967 and 68. Im swapping from drum brakes to disc on my 67' cougar but using spindles off of one of my 68' mustangs. I purchased a kit that is set to cover 1967 to 1969 that includes calipers rotors mounting brackets ect. The kit didnt include the splash sheilds. When shopping for the shields they specify 1965-1967 and 1968-1973. I was under the impression that most disc brake parts from 1965 to 1968 including spindles are interchangeable. Would appreciate any input on the splash shields and or any other aspect of this conversion.

·
Registered
157 Posts
65-67 Mustang use a 4 piston static mount caliper based brake system that mounts to the face of the spindle. This system uses the same spindle as the drum brake system. 68-73 disc brake Mustang use a single piston float mount caliper based system that mounts to a disc brake specific spindle. There is no interchange between these brake types.

The 67 type disc brakes will mount to the 68-73 Mustang "drum" spindles. The 68-73 system, in its entirety including spindles, will mount to 67.

Cougar and Mustang year models use the same brakes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts