Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just as the title says, disc or drum brakes? I've always thought it is best to go disc and almost a necessity. But the shop going to be putting mine on says to keep the drum and that seems quite idiotic to me. Suggestions?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I say disk brakes. I have drums right now, and they suck. I have a set of Granada disk brakes in the mail right now with my name on em:strut

·
Registered
115 Posts
IMHO, the only reason to keep the drums is for authenticity. If you're not looking to keep your car perfectly stock, the drums should be the first thing out the door. (And down the street... Into the next county...) Though, for nicer brakes, you'll have to replace your wheels first. :evillol:

I have four-wheel non-powered drums on my 'Stang. I really wish the previous owner had given them some attention like he did the drivetrain. As it is, I stick the car in neutral at stoplights because my leg starts cramping up trying to fight the car's incessant urge to *MOVE* if I don't. :heha:

But, more to the point, drums are:
1.) Harder to maintain (Everything is inside the drum, so you have to take more stuff apart.)
2.) More expensive to fix (Voice of experience, dude. Don't question it.)
3.) Poorer performers (Drum brakes hold in heat which exacerbates braking deterioration, have inherently less braking surface, and are an inefficient design - pushing out vs. squeezing.)

Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
810 Posts
lthompson05 said:
Well, just as the title says, disc or drum brakes? I've always thought it is best to go disc and almost a necessity. But the shop going to be putting mine on says to keep the drum and that seems quite idiotic to me. Suggestions?
Depends on if you are talking front or back.

Front? The shop is idiots
Rear? The shop is trying to save you some money and basically good guys, rear disc is more for bling than anything on a street car.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, they were front. And I had assumed myself that the shop was full of idiots, so I am right. But I already have custom wheels that are 15" so thank god that I won't have to buy new wheels. I'm getting power disc brakes put on. No more getting leg workout while I'm driving my stang. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have manual drums on my 71 mach 1 and they work and stop the car great. I dont have to pump my brakes either.

·
Registered
115 Posts
lthompson05 said:
But I already have custom wheels that are 15" so thank god that I won't have to buy new wheels.
Heh. I'm putting 17's on my 'Stang so I can get 13" discs in there. :evillol:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I have two 66 Mustangs, one has the original drums all around, except I upgraded to a vacuum assist power setup with dual reservoir. I can say NO CAR I EVER DROVE (and I have owned somewhere near 30 vehicles) has a good a brake feel as the power drums all around. Drums take roughly half the line pressure to lock the wheel, so you do not have to press the brake very hard to get the car to stop.

However.. and you knew this was coming.. drum brakes get heat soak easily, and once they do, there ain't no stopping them. Any kind of performance driving you definitely need the disk brake upgrade. But I do remember a few years back one of my performance magazines had a story about a guy who drilled out his drums so he would get better airflow thru them, and had no brake fade from heat soak.

Remember, there is a reason why 18 wheelers have drum brakes. They stop wheels with less line pressure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.