Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a discoloration (not condensation) at the bottom edges of their rear quarter glass. I have it on both sides, but it more pronounced on the right rear quarter glass. I know that on occasion I will clean the area underneath that edge (that's where the rainwater pools)...but it's beginning to look pretty bad. Anyone else notice this on their quarter windows?
I've attached a pic of it (look at the very bottom of the edge..lightish gray)...

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mark, I've tried using just plain water with a cloth and cleaning up behind the bottom edge of the glass as best possible, but it's still there. Really weird.

Only thing I can of is that rainwater sits there and it rubs the flat black paint off the interior side of the glass...looks a bit shoddy to me.

Again wondering, if this is common to other owners.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Wonder if it could be hard water deposits that could have etched the underside of the glass?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mark...it must be. I went to a couple of Ford lots and checked out some of the "older" Stangs (2005-06) and I found several Stangs on the lot that had the same lightish gray at the bottom of the quarter glass. It must be the water that pools at the bottom and the minerals simply get on the back portion of the glass and slowly dissolve the black tint/paint behind the glass...really weird. I've tried the cleaning method to no avail. Oh, well, I guess it's something I'll have to live with.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Mark...it must be. I went to a couple of Ford lots and checked out some of the "older" Stangs (2005-06) and I found several Stangs on the lot that had the same lightish gray at the bottom of the quarter glass. It must be the water that pools at the bottom and the minerals simply get on the back portion of the glass and slowly dissolve the black tint/paint behind the glass...really weird. I've tried the cleaning method to no avail. Oh, well, I guess it's something I'll have to live with.
I wonder if white vinegar or CLR would do anything?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it does leave a residue then perhaps CLR or vinegar might do the trick...but I'm thinking that the black paint (on the back of the window) has simply weathered away and it's possible that the CLR or vinegar might make it worse. Oh, well...at least I know that mine is not the only one with this problem.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Wonder if it could be hard water deposits that could have etched the underside of the glass?
I'm pretty sure it is mine looked like that on cold wet days before I installed the louvers.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Matt,

It's got to be the rainwater pooling up at the bottom edge of the glass causing it. Like I said, I saw a few of the "older" S197s with the same thing. Just a poor design. The water doesn't get any higher than where the urethane bead is which is about a quarter inch or so from the bottom edge of the glass. And the discoloration is there wet or dry.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have a bit of that myself, & the faux gas cap is losing its letters.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Makes me glad I live where the humidity is only 15-25%. Reminds me...I need to get new pads for the swamp cooler on the roof today.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pat, is yours pretty much like mine (i.e. along the bottom)?

·
Registered
191 Posts
same here....maybe some sort of sealant thats coming off, my passenger side window is barely noticeable but my driver side is pretty bad.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Carlos, would you mind posting a pic of your "bad" side...if don't mind? Or send it in an email. I would just like to compare.
Like I said, I don't know if your Stang sits outside...but I'm convinced that the rainwater pools at the bottom of the edge and dissolves the back of the black paint (or whatever it is) just below the urethane bead.
Thanks!

·
Registered
191 Posts
sure thing...will go outside on my lunch break and snap a pic.

·
Registered
191 Posts
snapped some pics with my cell during lunch....

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Carlos, thanks for the pics...obviously you're experiencing the same thing as me. I'm sure a lot of other Stang owners are having the same thing happen to their quarter windows...it's a shame because the quarter windows add that retro flare and most people do point them out when looking at the car.
I wish I knew of a way to get rid of it (without covering them up with louvers)...but right now there isn't any way to make them look better.

·
Registered
191 Posts
it actually has been bugging me for a while, and I do notice water pooling around the window when I wash the car, time to whip out the tools and figure out a solution....

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Carlos...be sure to let me know if you come up with a solution...I've even tried applying some Mother's Back to Black liquid with the a cloth edge up into the gap hoping that might return the black...that didn't work. I'll keep trying on my end.
Thanks, Mark

1 - 20 of 25 Posts