Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
A large number of EGR releated issues are actually the DPFE sensor. Start first with an inspection of the vacuum lines to/from the DPFE sensor. The lines to/from the DPFE sensor must be leak free. Exhaust gases are hard on these lines. On the 4.6, it can be difficult to inspect due to location of the firewall.

Not a bad idea to clean the DPFE electrical connection with contact cleaner. Re-grease with silcone di-electric grease (same kind used on spark plugs).

If still a problem, replace the DPFE sensor. Note, Ford changed the design/calibration of the DPFE sensor to reduce false DTC codes. This is one part to consider buying from Ford.

·
Registered
238 Posts
A large number of EGR releated issues are actually the DPFE sensor. Start first with an inspection of the vacuum lines to/from the DPFE sensor. The lines to/from the DPFE sensor must be leak free. Exhaust gases are hard on these lines. On the 4.6, it can be difficult to inspect due to location of the firewall.

Not a bad idea to clean the DPFE electrical connection with contact cleaner. Re-grease with silcone di-electric grease (same kind used on spark plugs).

If still a problem, replace the DPFE sensor. Note, Ford changed the design/calibration of the DPFE sensor to reduce false DTC codes. This is one part to consider buying from Ford.
If the EGR is malfunctioning can that cause pinging? Also what was his original problem. What did unpluging the EGR fix?

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Excessive EGR flow will not cause pinging. Why? Because EGR gases are mostly inert. After all, they have already been burnt once. EGR also serves to lower exhaust gas temperatures. This reduces Nitrous oxide (NOX) emissions.

Sooo. Having some EGR flow can reduce pinging.

The orginal problem was poor power. One possible cause is EXCESSIVE EGR flow. Disconnecting the EGR vacuum line is a way to rule in/out the theory. Since the power production improves with the EGR defeated, excessive EGR flow is a real possibility.

Technically, disconnecting the EGR vacuum line hasn't fixed anything. It's a test to narrow down where the problem is.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excessive EGR flow will not cause pinging. Why? Because EGR gases are mostly inert. After all, they have already been burnt once. EGR also serves to lower exhaust gas temperatures. This reduces Nitrous oxide (NOX) emissions.

Sooo. Having some EGR flow can reduce pinging.

The orginal problem was poor power. One possible cause is EXCESSIVE EGR flow. Disconnecting the EGR vacuum line is a way to rule in/out the theory. Since the power production improves with the EGR defeated, excessive EGR flow is a real possibility.

Technically, disconnecting the EGR vacuum line hasn't fixed anything. It's a test to narrow down where the problem is.
so, i have disconnected the EGR, it felt like it ran smoother, but it didnt fix the problem. p0316 & p0301 code popped. i kinda gave up putting so much little things that didnt fix it. so, the stang is at the shop right now getting looked at. i hope i do not get raped with a bill. well, i hope it get it fixed.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
The DTC p0316 & p0301 is a common misfire in cylinder 1 and 6. Certainly NOT the same symptom posted in your other threads.

It shouldn't be a surprise it runs poor on 6 out of 8 cylinders.

Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The DTC p0316 & p0301 is a common misfire in cylinder 1 and 6. Certainly NOT the same symptom posted in your other threads.

It shouldn't be a surprise it runs poor on 6 out of 8 cylinders.

Good luck.
yes very true, and im just clueless:im confused:and confused. i hope i get some good news tomorrow. hope i was not out of line messaging you for advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts