Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I hardly ever get on my Mustang because I baby it. Well, yesterday, I was getting on the freeway and decided to drop it down to second gear on the ramp (I was going about 25). When I did, there was a big hesitation, then it kicked in. When I picked up speed and went to throw it into 4th gear, it wouldn't go in, so I just decided to put it in 6th and slow down. I then noticed a slight burn smell, not like something was actually burning, but something was on the verge of burning. I don't think I red-lined it when I missed 4th, but if I did, it was for a very brief moment. Now I feel discouraged because I am afraid I did something? It still drives fine but I feel I can't get on it without fear of breaking something or burning something out :( I don't think I ever had smooth shifting when getting on it, only when normal driving. Anyone have any issues rapidly shifting when driving spiritedly?

Now I'll probably limit my spirited driving even more :(
Someone cheer me up and tell me everything is going to be alright :bounce2:

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
hate to say it bro but there is literally an avalanche of complaints about your transmission and shifting issues...do a quick search and read all about it.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
you sure that you just missed fourth? and the smell is just the clutch smell. after you punish the car the clutch will stink up the party but that dosnt mean is broken or anything.

·
Registered
203 Posts
How many miles on her ? I ask cuz maybe you were just burning the New car stink out of the pipes :) or burning the fuzz off the clutch disk. Shifting this close gate tranny is an acquired skill i am finding takes time and practice i tend to slide into 3rd rather than down shifting into 5th (yikes) but in time i hope it will become more natural :) :yelwacko:

·
Registered
270 Posts
despite the internet chatter about problems with these cars, from transmission issues to bad cylinders, the vast majority of cars have very few issues and for a brand new design the drivetrain is extremely durable.There are cars running 700hp and 10 + second 1/4 miles on stock transmissions and stock internals, (do a youtube search).
With that being said, the transmission shift pattern is close and it is easy to miss a shift. The car has a rev limiter and you are not likely to hurt anything. The big hesitation and smell might well have been your tires spinning and you didnt even realize it! It takes practice! Ask a friend with a bit more experience driving a performance car to take it through the gears. Dont be afraid have fun, be safe and practice practice practice.

I bet your local dealer has a few mechanics that would be happy to show you how to properly beat the crap out of her!

jim

·
Registered
522 Posts
Well, I hardly ever get on my Mustang because I baby it. Well, yesterday, I was getting on the freeway and decided to drop it down to second gear on the ramp (I was going about 25). When I did, there was a big hesitation, then it kicked in. When I picked up speed and went to throw it into 4th gear, it wouldn't go in, so I just decided to put it in 6th and slow down. I then noticed a slight burn smell, not like something was actually burning, but something was on the verge of burning. I don't think I red-lined it when I missed 4th, but if I did, it was for a very brief moment. Now I feel discouraged because I am afraid I did something? It still drives fine but I feel I can't get on it without fear of breaking something or burning something out :( I don't think I ever had smooth shifting when getting on it, only when normal driving. Anyone have any issues rapidly shifting when driving spiritedly?

Now I'll probably limit my spirited driving even more :(
Someone cheer me up and tell me everything is going to be alright :bounce2:

Part of the hesitation may have been the TC. I have noticed that in the low gears when I want to drive quickly. I have no idea about the 4th-6th gear thing though, never had that. I would take it to the dealer and tell them I had trouble getting it into 4th gear on acceleration onto the highway.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Heck you may just be breaking it in.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Ahh that smell. So that is the clutch burning...I only smell it if I shift over 6k RPM when doing spirit driving. How long does this smell last? I'm at 3k miles. It doesn't seem as strong as when I first got the car. I thought it was just the engine breaking in or w/e.

·
Registered
406 Posts
That would not be good if you smell the clutch burning everytime you get on it, I really dont think it is the clutch you smell i smell it everytime to and it smells nothing like a clutch but who knows...How many times can i say smell lol
:shrug

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
After driving around tame for months sometimes the cats flood when getting on it. It smells like burnt hair when that happens.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I didnt think it was the clutch but something makes that smell at high RPMs...engine? I suppose I should do a burnout to get the smell of the clutch. I have no idea what it smells like.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'd like to share my part of a spirited driving story. I've got my 5.0 93 Race tuned and modded with Roush axle backs and JLT CAI. The throttle response, the muffler symphony, torque, everything is provocating me, at least once each time I drive, to push the limits.

A couple of days ago.. I had her roll on 2nd gear and floored the throttle pedal. When I hit the rev limiter, I quickly shifted it up to 3rd and there it was.. I almost lost control of the front end! I have no idea how it happend but the front end of the car got so light and suddenly pulled to the right after the gear change! I thought I was wheeleing just like on bikes! Yeah it felt exactly like that time when I was wheeleing the bike and did not realize I had the front wheel steered a bit to the left until it tank slapped me when I landed the front back on the road!

So .. has anyone experienced this on their 5.0s?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Traction control and new car small.

A week after my 1000 miles over, I raced a camaro and boy did my car smell bad for hours after that.

As far as missing 4th, is this your first manual transmission car?

If you were driving spiritedly why were you going from 2nd to 4th?

·
Registered
146 Posts
1cor29-I wouldn't worry too much. The rev limiter is there and if you only bumped it, you should be fine. As for the smell..hard to say. But I do know that mine has almost 2k miles on it now and it still smells odd after I've been driving a while and then park it in the garage. The other new cars I've owned seemed to burn off the new-car-smell after about 600-700 miles but this one is still going strong on the stink. For the hesitation, go out to a remote road and try hoofing-it from a rolling start with TC on, TC in sport mode, and then TC off and see if that's the difference you're feeling. As one person mentioned, that may be what it is. These cars don't really start pulling hard until 4000rpm. Maybe the lead-up through the lower rpms is the hesitation feeling you're getting? If so, that's normal.

Good luck and enjoy your car!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Traction control and new car small.

A week after my 1000 miles over, I raced a camaro and boy did my car smell bad for hours after that.

As far as missing 4th, is this your first manual transmission car?

If you were driving spiritedly why were you going from 2nd to 4th?
No, I've driven many manual transmissions. And I never said I went from 2nd to 4th. I was going from 3rd to 4th - straight down.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That would not be good if you smell the clutch burning everytime you get on it, I really dont think it is the clutch you smell i smell it everytime to and it smells nothing like a clutch but who knows...How many times can i say smell lol
:shrug
Hehe, it was like smelling smelly smells!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Well, yesterday, I was getting on the freeway and decided to drop it down to second gear on the ramp (I was going about 25). When I did, there was a big hesitation, then it kicked in. When I picked up speed and went to throw it into 4th gear, it wouldn't go in./quote]

Sorry, when I read that it sounded like you said you went from 2nd to 4th. I don't know what could have caused 4th to act like that.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you sure that you just missed fourth? and the smell is just the clutch smell. after you punish the car the clutch will stink up the party but that dosnt mean is broken or anything.
Nope, I know what a burning clutch smells like - I've smelled that many times before, but not on my car. This smell was from the engine. It smelled like a "new burn smell" if that makes any sense. It was relatively mild and only lasted about 5 -10 minutes.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I don't even have to shift aggressively to get that smell and I have close to 10k on her. The original new car burning smell is gone, but I still get some smell when I run her hard. I do notice some hesitation if I drive like an old man then suddenly punch it. it is probably the computer adjusting itself to your slow driving and it takes a second for it to realize yea, he really does want speed, its not a mistake! Then she roars. I miss having cables.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts