Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a disk brake conversion for the 1986 Ford Mustang GT model. I have the existing 4 lug set up on the front disk brakes with the 4 lug drum brakes on the 8.8 rear axle. I would like to covert the existing system to a 5 lug four wheel disk system. Any information would be helpful.
Thank you,

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
there are many companies that offer that swap...do a google or Ebay search...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been searching, but not having much luck. Most of the kits I find are for 1987 or later Mustang models. I'll keep researching and see what I can find.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The SN95 brake setup is probably most common swap. There are obviously differences between the 79-86 and the 87-93 brake setups, but its still a do-able conversion. Main differences are with the master cylinder and the parking brake setups. I used a master cylinder from and 85 Lincoln towncar and only the two rear ford racing parking brake cables.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Another issue I have run into while doing research for my 85 is that I have a 7.5" rear end, while most of the conversions are for 8.8", if this applies to the 86, you might want to look into swapping out a newer model rear end, 87 to 93 (or better yet a 94-95 which has the 5 lug disc)
Good luck

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The 7.5 and the 8.8 axle housing are dimensionally the same aside from the size if the center section. They are basically interchangeable. The '86 5.0L cars were the first year to get the 8.8 axle.

When I did my swap, I used a complete 8.8 rear axle from a '98 GT to replace my 7.5.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts