Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just got my motor up and running and ready to drive and what do ya know, the brakes don't work.

They have been an issue for awhile. I have 4 wheel disks and the pedal is very spongy(takes 4-5 pumps to get them to grab). I have had one shop tell me I need a booster and another shop tell me I need wider brake lines in the front for better flow. I am using the master cylinder from the Master Power brake kit, I am not sure whether or not it is meant for 4 wheel disks or if I need a new one.

I have the old combination valve still on the car.

I don't really have any experience working with brakes so I am lost. Any help would be appreciated. I am willing to spend money on a booster kit if it will fix the problem, I just do not want to install it and still have my brakes all mushy.

Please help! :crying:

·
Registered
278 Posts
My suggestion is to get someone to help you properly bleed them first if that hasn't already been done. Won't cost you anything but a bottle of brake fluid. From what I have read on other forums, wider brake lines won't solve anything. I can't help you with the shop's recommendation about the booster but am hesitant to go with that. I am sure others will chime in. Keep us posted

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My suggestion is to get someone to help you properly bleed them first if that hasn't already been done. Won't cost you anything but a bottle of brake fluid. From what I have read on other forums, wider brake lines won't solve anything. I can't help you with the shop's recommendation about the booster but am hesitant to go with that. I am sure others will chime in. Keep us posted
Thanks for the reply, but I've bled them myself and then had them bled by a shop with a pump. So I don't believe that is the issue

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
If you still have the original brake pressure differential warning valve installed on the wall, it may not be working or improper bleeding has left it off center. Is the 'brake' light on the dash on?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you still have the original brake pressure differential warning valve installed on the wall, it may not be working or improper bleeding has left it off center. Is the 'brake' light on the dash on?
its the original one, but my dash currently needs to be rewired, I did some research, and theres a different valve for disk/disk cars and one for drum/drum cars. It was an original all drum car so I guess I need to replace the valve.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Try getting an adjustable proportioning valve. It could be that your old prop valve is over restricting the rear. If the fronts lock up with ease, then that is definitely the case. In any case, both shops are wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts