Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that they have the motorcraft distributor that has aluminium contacts and it costs alot more than the aftermarket distributors with brass contacts. Isn't brass a better conductor than the aluminium? Why does Ford only sell the distributor with aluminium contacts? What are if any differences between the factory Motorcraft distributor caps and rotors vs. Mallory, Accel, Borg Warner or any other aftermarket brands?

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
i prefer the brass myself,they do conduct better.i use Bluestreak cap and buttons on my regular distributers,not too high and great quality.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Distributor

Contrary to popular belief, brass by itself isn't a very good conductor of electricity. Aluminum is 2x better conductivity by weight than anything else. In order to make brass highly conductive of electricity, you need to add silver and copper (which are the two best conductors but most expensive and hardest to apply, followed by aluminum). There are instances where the superior tensile and machining characteristics of brass make it a better choice than copper as long as the sectional areas are increased proportionately to achieve the conductivity that a copper part would have in the application. The main differences between all distributor caps and rotors are the quality and durability of the plastic composite they're made of, the metal used for the contacts and the resistance to corrosion. I've owned 3 Fox Body style mustangs and have always used MSD ignition products. Great price, superior performance and durability, direct fit every time and I always recommend them to anyone asking for advice on ignition components.

G

·
I see that they have the motorcraft distributor that has aluminium contacts and it costs alot more than the aftermarket distributors with brass contacts. Isn't brass a better conductor than the aluminium? Why does Ford only sell the distributor with aluminium contacts? What are if any differences between the factory Motorcraft distributor caps and rotors vs. Mallory, Accel, Borg Warner or any other aftermarket brands?

Ford/Motorcraft does offer a copper/brass V8 dist cap, part # F5ZZ-12106-AA...in years pass, when I was still running push-rod engines, I always used MSD caps and rotors.....oh and dont forget to "clip" the wings of the rotor if it's a high RMP motor....

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Good posts..thanks.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Aluminum is a better conductor than brass, but brass is a more durable material, they tend to last longer.

·
Banned
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should I then stick with the Motorcraft distributor and rotor then? It does cost alot more than accel or Mallory.

·
Registered
59 Posts
NAPA caps and rotors with the brass inserts have returned a good service life in my experience. The aluminum insert shrinks under voltage load and that can lead to a compromised seal.
A light coating of di-electric silicon (tune-up grease) helps to extend life.

·
Banned
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NAPA caps and rotors with the brass inserts have returned a good service life in my experience. The aluminum insert shrinks under voltage load and that can lead to a compromised seal.
A light coating of di-electric silicon (tune-up grease) helps to extend life.
What is the cost of those distributor caps and rotors from NAPA? I have never bought from that brand. If brass is better than aluminium why then does ford continue to use that material and charge alot for it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can't answer for what decisions Ford makes. But consider if they save fifty cents per cap, that adds up when they make 1,000,000 cars.
NAPA caps are made by a vendor named Echlin. I don't remember what I paid for the last rotor and cap. I'm getting old and my memory is going. For years I used Accel caps and rotors, went to NAPA because they're a couple blocks away (and I'm a shareholder).

·
Banned
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't answer for what decisions Ford makes. But consider if they save fifty cents per cap, that adds up when they make 1,000,000 cars.
NAPA caps are made by a vendor named Echlin. I don't remember what I paid for the last rotor and cap. I'm getting old and my memory is going. For years I used Accel caps and rotors, went to NAPA because they're a couple blocks away (and I'm a shareholder).
Accel or Mallory is $16 to 20 but Ford is $30.00+:eek:mg::blink::what::doh:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Accel or Mallory is $16 to 20 but Ford is $30.00+:eek:mg::blink::what::doh:
MSD cap & rotor @ Auto Zone for $20. I've experimented with numerous ignition systems from all companies. MSD components are and will always be used on my builds.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Does it have brass connectors or aluminium like the Ford OEM?
Brass. With the short distance the electrical charge needs to travel to the ignition wires, brass and aluminum are pretty close in performance, but a brass cap will resist corrosion a lot better. I live in San Diego, CA and that is a big plus for me because there is a lot of moisture in the air and where I live, I park in a car port which is open to the elements.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts