Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a rebuilt 95 5.0 ho motor out of this dudes bronco he was parting. Anyways got the engine in my 68 coupe finally started it today , runs good except the high idle problem prolly my carburetor not a big deal at the moment but my question is what distributor would you guys recommend ? It has the steel roller cam and I have the points distributor in it currently I know that's a big no lol because the iron will wear out on the distributor but I just wanted to start the car today . Where could I get a steel gear from or what distributor could I use? I've found hei distributors with chrome Molly gears. Would the chrome molly geared hei distributor gear work ? Thanks in advance people

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Just picked up a rebuilt 95 5.0 ho motor out of this dudes bronco he was parting. Anyways got the engine in my 68 coupe finally started it today , runs good except the high idle problem prolly my carburetor not a big deal at the moment but my question is what distributor would you guys recommend ? It has the steel roller cam and I have the points distributor in it currently I know that's a big no lol because the iron will wear out on the distributor but I just wanted to start the car today . Where could I get a steel gear from or what distributor could I use? I've found hei distributors with chrome Molly gears. Would the chrome molly geared hei distributor gear work ? Thanks in advance people
Hi,
So are you saying it didn't come with the distributor? That being the case, steel or bronze gears are readily available from any of the big box vendors. I'm not familiar, specifically, with "chrome moly" as I run a steel gear in my junk. But, if the "hype" says it's compstible, then, use it.
As far as a distributor goes, HEI, Electronic MSD, Mallory, Pertronix, it depends on how deep your pockets. In any case, chose one with a vac canister for better street-ability.
Good Luck with your project and your choices.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts