Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Granted, this question pertains to my 69 Camaro:nono:, however it really shouldnt matter

In order to install a new intake manifold on my BB Chevy motor, I obviously had to remove the distributor. I removed my distributor cap (its an HEI) and made a mark on the firewall which alligned with the metal finger on the rotor so when reinstalling, I could easily line it back up and the timing would still be relatively close.

My friend decided it would be a good idea a couple of days ago to turn the motor over by using a breaker bar on the front bolt... which, in turn, completely defeated the purpose of making the marks on the firewall to re-align it. While installing the distributor again, it only drops completely into place in a position unlike where it was before...otherwise, it stops about 1/4" short. My question is in regards to whether or not I can simply keep it in this random position which allows it to stay all the way down, try to start the motor, and then loosen up the bolt holding the distributor down to adjust the vacuum advance to a position which will let it start? Will this hurt anything?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :bigthumbsup

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
bring #1 cylinder to top dead center, by hand, and install distributor with rotor tip pointing to #1 on distribuor cap. when it cranks you will have to adjust timing, but that will get you in the ballpark. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been searching the net trying to find a site which shows you the steps to bring the engine to TDC... does anyone know of a good link?

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
pull #1 spark plug, put the tip of your finger in/over the plug hole, have someone turn it by hand untill you feel the compression pushing your finger out. this is getting close so look at the marks on the balancer and the timing tab, when the line on the balancer lines up with the zero on the tab, thats it. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Just make sure its on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke. Otherwise, your timing will be out 180 degrees

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice! Thanks for the help fellas, I really appreciate it. I'll let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
101 Posts
If the distributor refuses to go all the way down, it may be due tot he oil pump shaft being int he way. Look at the bottom of your distributor and search your tools for something with the same shape. Put it through the hole and turn it alittle and try the dist again. Just try not to use anything magnetic. You may pull the pump shaft out and wind up dropping it into the oil pan. This happened to me back in the 1980's on my 71 mustang. I was lucky. The engine was not in the car yet.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately, since the engine had been turned, adjusting the oil pump shaft so that it drops down in the original position wont mean that the car is timed, correct?

Also, I brought the engine to what feels like top dead center using this link as a guide How to find tdc on a chevy small block engine My question is this: Once I brought the number one cylinder to top dead center, I noticed that the timing mark on the harmonic balancer is a couple inches away from the timing tab. What should I do?? :headscratch: I thought it was necessary to bring the timing mark to 0 on the timing tab, but if I do that, the cylinder will no longer be at top dead center??

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...I'm just worried that if I bring the timing mark a few inches up to the 0, that the #1 cylinder will be starting down on the exhaust stroke, and when I point the distributor at the #1 plug and try to start it, it still wont be timed correctly. I'm stumped...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Try it and see. The piston will hang close to the top for a short time as the rod goes through the dead zone. I would go around a few times to be sure I was at tdc. By the way, how long since the timing chain has been replaced? It is hard to say since we don't know the history of your ride.

Your right, the position of the oil pump has nothing to do with the timing. Also, now that i think about it, the oil pump should not have moved. So, you should not have this problem. I had gone through the engine from top to bottom and was installing the dist for the first time.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I brought it around a few more times and ensured its at TDC... the issue that bothers me though is the timing mark is still a couple inches away from the timing tab. Hmmm.... ???

·
Registered
101 Posts
Rotate it on around to the mark and reinstall the dist. At this point you may ahve to turn that oil pump shaft to get the dist to go all the way in. Maybe not if your lucky. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
if you pull the #1 spark plug out and you rotate the engine until the compression blows your finger out couldn't that be compression or exhaust stroke?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts