Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the 74 pinto distributor fit the 89 2.3 block.Looking to go old school for fitting the 2.3 to a 1963 Triumph Spitfire

Any suggestions will certainly be appreciated
Thanks

Chuck

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Yes it will. If it were me, I'd convert the distributor to a more modern electronic ignition. Use something like a Jacobs and you can keep the old school points/duraspark look but have the reliability of a modern ignition.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it will. If it were me, I'd convert the distributor to a more modern electronic ignition. Use something like a Jacobs and you can keep the old school points/duraspark look but have the reliability of a modern ignition.
When you have nothing for ignition it is so easy to do old school.A lot cheaper as well.This is for my grandson so costs are to be watched
I run a mallory dual point for the 351 windsor in my Lister Tiger
Super performance.no messing around.
I do run a modern distributor in the 62 Alpine with the 302.Simple plug in.

Thanks to all the replies

Chuck

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I don't disagree with that. It's sure easier to get home when the points crap out than it if your ignition box goes south. I just like the low maintenance aspect of the Jacobs or Pertronix style conversions.

I ran a Mallory Unilite conversion in a factory single point distributor on a 302 in a Torino. I loved it because I didn't get points bounce above 4500, but when it failed, you were done. There was no way to rig it to get home.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HALLELUJIA

Well after spending some time with Duraspark.A frustrating time for me to be sure.I guess some old school thoughts were sort of giving me a problem with wiring.
I gave up and went and did yard work for a few hours.Came back and looked at the motor.Changed one connection and we now have a nice running 2.3.Need to set the timing still
Now to fit the motor to the Spitfire.Have to bring it home from my grandson's place.Once mounts etc are made its back to his garage.He doesn't have all the tools as he is just starting to be a car person.

Thanks to all for all the replies

Chuck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts