Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forum but not entirely new to Mustangs. I had a great plain Jane 64-1/2 20 years ago and finally just bought another, a '65 convertible. Overall it's in good shape, original condition except 1 fender repair and exactly what I was looking for. I'm a hands-on guy and enjoy working on stuff like this.

It needs some tlc and a few things to make it safe on the road (suspension, steering & upgraded brakes and exhaust). It is drivable and cruises well as-is but I have a low speed problem. It's a 289 2 barrel, 3-speed manual and driving out of the neighborhood it hesitates a lot, I have to be on throttle then clutch in to coast. Back in the garage I removed the air cleaner and slowly moved the throttle. It increases rpm's normally to a point but then does a little bump and surge, seemingly at the rpm level I would imagine it would be at when I'm going 30mph. Moving the throttle a little more it does it again. I'm fairly certain that is why it is behaving as it does. At 50mph it's fine, accelerating it does well. I had my other Mustang over 20 years ago and I'm very pleased at the difference I see in this 289 vs my old 170cu.in. engine. I rebuilt the carb which made a world of difference from when I had it delivered. 46 years worth of crud, wow! I have installed an electronic module (Pertronix) and it is gapped correctly. I was going to tinker with the timing by ear however the distributor's vacuum is smack against the radiator hose so it cannot move any further clockwise than that. Moving it counter-clockwise only yields a decrease in performance.

Sorry for such a long 1st post for such a straight-forward question. Having read some replies here to previous questions I know you folks share a wealth of info. Thanks in advance and I look forward to being a part of the forum.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
For the adjustment problem, all you need to do is pull distributor and restab it whever you want. Just maintain rotor to plug wire orientation. Just do not rotate engine while you have it out or you will have to start from scratch. Check firing order on distributor cap to make sure someone hasn't moved the wires one position off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give that a shot. I read another thread where someone was trying to install a new distributor which was a good read. I now know how to avoid and/or deal with the shaft if it comes out.
Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts