Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Pertronix Flamethrower Plug-N-Play HEI distributor for my 65 coupe 289. I made all the marks and took all the notes and pulled my old distributor out, but in doing so the oil pump driveshaft started to come out with it, then dropped down.

Does anyone have a method for repositioning the driveshaft? I can see it and I can get a magnet on it and pull it up but it hangs on something that prevents it from coming out completely. If not for this setback, this job would've been smooth and simple. I'm surprised that this potentiial problem was not mentioned in the Pertronix installation instructions, nor in my Chilton repair manual.

Help. Thanks, Troy

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Troy,

There is a metal ring pressed on the shaft that acts as a keeper made of spring steel. That is supposed to keep the shaft from pulling free of the oil pump as the keeper prevents the shaft from pulling out of the hole the distributor goes through.

If you can grab the shaft you should be able to get it back in the oil pump. Usually the keeper slips on the shaft and it drops into the oil pan. :happyhapp :laughlitt :kooky:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Frankly it's been so long since I did the oil pump, I can't remember what the top looks like - do you (or anyone) happen to have a diagram or photo of the part of the oil pump where the driveshaft socket is, and of the pump end of the driveshaft itself? Is the pump end the same as the distributor end - just a pointed hex that seats in a socket? Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
No pic, but the answer is yes. The drive shaft is hexagonal. The retainer is spring steel and can slide along the shaft with force.

The problem, IMHO, is that some distributors are slightly tighter on the oil pump drive shaft than others due to manufacturing tolerances. Also, some distributors are not beveled at the end to allow easier engagement with the shaft.

I've spent hours attempting to get the timing in sync with the shaft. It can be a real *****! :sosad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The size seems to fit well. I'm thinking the problem is something else - I just don't know what. I can get a magnetic nut driver on the shaft, and the matching hex fits the old and new distributor. The distributor just seems to bottom out on something. I can't get the old or new distributor to seat down the last 1/4 of an inch. In fact I've had the new distributor in and then pulling it out I can hear the driveshaft drop off, so I know it had to have at least been in far enough to hold it some. I can't see anything that is in the way. I've been several hours on it with still no love, but if I find a solution I will post it here. Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
You are describing the problem EXACTLY! :cool:

The distributor is not engaging the shaft! :tongue

·
Registered
18 Posts
if your distributor will not seat all the way down it is not engaging the oil pump drive, but it will be engaged with the cam. take a breaker bar and socket to the crankshaft bolt and turn the engine over by hand while putting some downward pressure on the distributor. it should drop down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.