Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All:

I have a '65 289 in my coupe and have installed a 1406 Edelbrock carburetor on a Edelbrock 2121 intake manifold. I also have a pertronix ignitor electronic point kit installed in the distributor. Do I need to hook up the vacuum advance and if so, where would I hook it up on the carburetor?

Thanks,

:scratchchin

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
You can hook it to manifold or timed vacuum ports - the only difference is that if you connect it directly to manifold vacuum it will assist with added timing at an idle. You will likely have to adjust the idle back down to the proper speed and mixture if it was last adjusted with ported vacuum. Driving down the road they work exactly the same.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You can hook it to manifold or timed vacuum ports - the only difference is that if you connect it directly to manifold vacuum it will assist with added timing at an idle. You will likely have to adjust the idle back down to the proper speed and mixture if it was last adjusted with ported vacuum. Driving down the road they work exactly the same.
They do not work the same at all
Vacuum advance on a Ford should be hooked to ported vacuum, other wise it can cause all kinds of driveability issues
The vacuum advance is designed to help fuel economy by increasing ignition timing as the RPMs increase
If hooked to full time vacuum you cannot set the base timing properly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts