Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 86 mustang that had a carberated 4cyl in it and the ignition system is a eec computor. I am swapping out the engine for a rebuilt carburated 5.0 and was wondering if i used a eec distributor out of a FI 5.0 if it would work?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
i think it would work if you use the corresponding pcm like from an 85 or something. otherwise if you are goin back to strictly mechanical, you are going to have to get a distributor with the old vacuum advance.

·
Registered
654 Posts
take a miniute

when you take the distributors out put them side buy side, you may notice a carb'd and efi dist. are different lengths, also the pitch of the cam gears are different and over time will tear the gear right off the dist.( friend had it happen) i would use the carb'd dist and duraspark box. it's a 2 wire hook up to the car.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you're going carbed, you have to use the older Duraspark Dizzy. Here's the catch: If you have a flat tappet cam, you can steal a dizzy out of any '74-'84 carbed 302. If you have a roller cam, you either have to get a used one from an '85 4V, 5 Speed Mustang, or order the same from your local parts store. You can also get the proper bronze or steel gear for the older Dizzy's.

The Dizzy's will all physically interchange, it's the material of the cam gear that is critical:

Cast Iron for all flat tappet style cams, and bronze or steel for all roller cams.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.