Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Mustang GT with 155,xxx miles. The paint is beginning to become in bad shape. The trunk lid is fading along with the spoiler. The clear coat is coming off above my driver window (stupid power washer), my front bumper was previously repainted by last owner and he painted over bugs it looks like, many scratches on rear fenders, scratched on hood, etc. My dad and I are thinking about investing in an air compressor. What kind of air compressor would be needed to paint a car from home? Also, how much do those run for? And is there a way to get paint that was the same color from the factory? My last questions are how much paint would I need and how much will that paint cost? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
a good quality air compressor for the job around $300, then you look at spending atleast another $150 for a good gun, paint and supplies i think for a whole car is around $750+ these days

·
Banned
612 Posts
i wonder if you could plasti-dip the whole car hahahaha

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
i wonder if you could plasti-dip the whole car hahahaha
yes if u want to redo it every 4-6 months, but it would only cost $20 vs thousands

·
Registered
525 Posts
IMO you'll want a minimum of a 20 gallon tank to keep up and maintain pressure. Honestly for a DIY, decent guns can be had for around $50 these days. You'll want one with a 1.3-1.5mm tip.

You go on here and find a local PPG distributor:
Refinish Locator - Refinish

I would recommend going with the "Shopline" line of products. Good factory color matching, easy to spray and you can do the whole car for $3-400. That would include primer, base coat, clear coat, all necessary reducers and hardeners. It's the same stuff a lot of body shops would use on a complete repaint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts