Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a GT with stock manifolds and an O/R midpipe, and notice a little exhaust smell. Would the smell be worse if you then added FRPP Hot Rod Cams?

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
If you have a GT with stock manifolds and an O/R midpipe, and notice a little exhaust smell. Would the smell be worse if you then added FRPP Hot Rod Cams?
If its tuned correctly it shouldn't "smell" at all. No more than any other car. It will smell slightly different than if it goes through cats, but not any MORE.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If its tuned correctly it shouldn't "smell" at all. No more than any other car. It will smell slightly different than if it goes through cats, but not any MORE.
Maybe your tune is not 100% right and at idle, you are getting more fuel than needed. When I very first got my car tuned with cams in it, it ran great on the dyno, everything checked out fuel wise, but then we let it idle a min and we almost died. Just a couple corrections and smell was not as bad. I actually enjoy the smell so I never complained

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I think Matt has it right. I might smell if your tune is off.

Back about 70+ years ago when cars used carburetors (only about 35+ for bikes) as opposed to fuel injection and ecu's (really ecu's), you had to set the mix yourself (gas/fuel; rich/lean)... If the engine was running really rich (or lean) it would have a different smell. It sound like that "might" be what you're talking about.

·
Registered
137 Posts
All things being equal. like the correct tune
Your engine is basically a big air pump. The more air you push in the more you want to push out = more horse power = more exhaust = more smell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts