Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Last question about brakes (sorry to be asking so many questions):

I just talked to a guy at Auto Zone and he said ceramic pads don't need any grease because of the special backing plate they have. Is there any truth to this?
Do any of you use grease on ceramic pads anyway?

Plus - About how much torque does it take to turn-in the rear caliper? And - it does go clockwise...right?
Thanks,
Larry

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Hi all,
Last question about brakes (sorry to be asking so many questions):

I just talked to a guy at Auto Zone and he said ceramic pads don't need any grease because of the special backing plate they have. Is there any truth to this?
Do any of you use grease on ceramic pads anyway?

Plus - About how much torque does it take to turn-in the rear caliper? And - it does go clockwise...right?
Thanks,
Larry
He is right, don't use any kind of lubricant on them they don't need it. But they will make some crazy squeak noises until they are broken in which will be pretty annoying lol. As for the caliper torque specs I do not know off hand Auto Zone should have that information on their nifty computer though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the informatioin on the grease.
As far as the rear caliper - I mean can it be turned-in with the "cube" tool and a 3/8 socket just by hand?

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
Thanks for the informatioin on the grease.
As far as the rear caliper - I mean can it be turned-in with the "cube" tool and a 3/8 socket just by hand?
you can try the knuckle buster cube, yes it turns to the right( clockwise) while you push in. it wouldnt work for me so i bought the caliper kit. there is no measured torq to push the piston in, but it takes quite a bit of push.
i dont care if the pads have moon dust on the backs, i grease all my pads the same like i said in your last post, and i`m not talking excessive amounts of grease. even if you dont put any on the piston edge or the fingers on the caliper, you still need it on the tin clips and the pad ears.

so are you gonna gonna do these brakes or what :bounce2:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I always use the blue stuff or white lithium. And will continue to do so. Thanks you just confirmed what I was gonna do anyway.
Sure am. I can't start till Monday, but like I said earlier, I want everything at my finger tips when I get started.
Thanks for the benefit from everyone's experiences.
Larry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts