Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I just noticed when I was trying to check my timing that my harmonic balancer is bent. I asked a friend and he said it wasn't really that big of a deal and it wont hurt anything, is this true? a while ago I tried to check my timing and it was jumping from 10-11 and could never find out why, finally found it.

so should I change it and if so what should I go with? does a performance harmonic balancer really worth the extra money? or should I just go with one from kragen or something?

also I'm trying to decide weather to go with a spec stage 1 or centerforce stage 1 clutch. I only have flows, CAI, off road h pipe.
the most I'll go with withen the next few years is a mild HCI, throttle body, and 3.73s.
the spec comes with everything to change the clutch for $190 and the centerforce only comes with the clutch and flywheel for $150

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
i suggest a new balancer....stock is fine..,

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
It has probably just started to separate. It's a two piece held together with rubber cushioning. Better change it quick, stock is fine.
Dave

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
At this point, a stocker would be alright. I run a Fluidampr and it makes a big difference at higher rpm, and also helps at lower too to balance it.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I would change it soon, if it moves around enough it could tear up your lower seal on your timing chain cover.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll change it soon. how hard will it be to change and around how much will a new one be?

also just wondering could it possibly be the crank thats bent and if so how can I find out?

·
Registered
941 Posts
if the crank was bent that much you would know its just the rubber on the balancer mine wobbles alot to at idle but your looking around 50$ balancer and rent a puller from AZ you have one big bolt and some have like 4 smaller ones i cant remember what that stang has but the probe i just did was just one big ass bolt like 1 1/8 inc but anyway just take the nut off and use the puller simple as that very easy

Oh btw impact gun will be the best to use =)

·
Registered
995 Posts
yah i bought a power force balancer when mine started to seperate, did you pull the spout connector when you were timimg your car? its a grey plug near the wiring going to the distributer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.