Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a 2001 GT, and it recently started to hesitate and bog down for a few seconds while under aceleration, then it clears up. I then noticed while sitting at a light my tach would go up to 1000 rpm's and then fall back to 700 rpm's. But if I give it some gas it clears up. It seems I have a bad plug or something. ANY Ideas or thoughts what it could be? HELP!

·
Super Moderator
40,151 Posts
i would do the basics first,new plugs,fuel filter,air filter....are you getting any codes?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do I Have A Dead Plug?

NO, not getting any codes, check engine light remains off. Have not checked fuel filter though the car has 83,000 on it, it should be changed. If it is coil on plugs, how can I determine which one? How do I check for that?

G

·
fuel filters are supposed tobe changed every 30k, so if your un-sure when it was last changed, by allmeens change it out. also at 83k there are other things that may need to be changed, like the PCV valve, air filter and sparkplugs like H/M said....

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I would say cop or an injector issue??

·
Registered
20 Posts
is there anyway you can single out which one is bad though? It's a little scary doing it the traditional way... pullin a plug and wire and cranking the motor... lol and I've pulled the clips off the cops one at a time while running and it still runs fine... scary I hate electricity

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
is there anyway you can single out which one is bad though? It's a little scary doing it the traditional way... pullin a plug and wire and cranking the motor... lol and I've pulled the clips off the cops one at a time while running and it still runs fine... scary I hate electricity

BUY ONE AND KEEP SWAPPING THEM. IF YOU HAVE A TUNER IT WILL TELL YOU WHICH ONE IS BAD MOST OF THE TIME. I HAVE A FEW EXTRA IF SOMEONE NEEDS ONE.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It would typically throw a code though right? It seems like it would have to for the tuner to pick it up... I have no check engine light on.. I'm probably gonna change mine out with some aftermarket ones anyway. I have that stumbling problem when you first start up... I think it's my IAC but I was just wondering how you check the COP's anyway so I thought I'd ask

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
My cel did not come on but my diablosport detected it when doing a scan. I replaced all mine as well and the car run a whole lot better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the dead plug guy

thanks guys for all the info, I'm going to to pick up a fuel filter tomorrow and do that, then to the cop with the process of elimnation. Start on the right bank and work my way around. If it turns out to be a cop. Are there different types of cop's Ford Oem? performance? are they expensive.
THanks and still thomped

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
oem are expensive, shop around you can find some good deals on ebay as well for new ones.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I saw some on summit's website they have MSD, Accell, granetelli, and the summit brand ones. The summit ones were the cheapest and they claim the same performance as the msd ones... You can look there and see what's available but if you decide to get something other than the summit ones I would shop around b4 buying there

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.