Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Let's move you in here and see if the guys and gals here can give you an answer.

Thanks for joining AFM!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
198 Posts
what kind of hp power are u running they are running fast cars down the track on pretty much stock suspention

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
stock mustang suspension IS already a 4link..sorta...

Ever look at a true 4-link cars suspension? When you look at a tube chassis car equipped with a 4-link you will notice that the lower control arm is horizontal with the ground while the upper control arm is angled down. These angles are critical for locating the Instant Center for Drag Racing for the best hook and best stability which is why there are so many different holes to choose from. The Instant Center position DOES make a difference.
Stock Mustangs were not made for Drag Racing and have the upper arms horizontal with the ground and the lower arms pointing upward, just the total opposite of what is needed for a Drag Car. If you are serious about Drag Racing then you should be concerned with how your chassis and suspension is set up as a complete system. The Mustang platform is a great starting point but finish what you started when you decided to do some drag racing and get the suspension set up like a drag car should be.
Team Z and BaselineSuspensions.com both make upper control arm kits that relocate the axle side mounting points of the upper control arms to correct the factory angle and make it more like a true 4 link car,then you can adjust the ride height for your setup to get the IC closer to where it needs to be...

they're relatively inexpensive($260-$360 for Baseline and $400 for Team Z),very easy to install, and they work great..thats a fraction of the price and almost none of the time and effort it would take to chop the rear of your car apart and install a true 4 link setup

R

·
0 Posts
Well its kind of hard to diagnose a suspension problem until the car has gone to the track......

You need to do some baseline testing prior to making changes.....

·
Registered
797 Posts
have you stiffened up your frame yet?...should come first

·
Registered
787 Posts
I wouldn't think 575 hp. est. would have to have a true 4 link. I saw 8.5 inch tire mustangs 1000 plus h.p. stock type suspension hooking up last weekend 5.30s 1/8 mile. and if you want to be competitive it takes a lot of seat time. 90lx bracket car.

·
Registered
797 Posts
1000 plus hp & stock suspension......uh ya right:rollgrin:

·
Registered
787 Posts
If you want to see the 8.5 tire cars 1000 plus hp cars ,drag your self out of Canada and come to Kentucky. All these cars have all been on the chassis dino. If it aint the truth I won't put it on this site. I am not a bull shi-er. Come on down Sept 11 2010 London Ky. see for yourself.

R

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'm not disputing the HP, what I question is somebody wanting to do it with a "stock-type suspension"

let that cover this "judgement" as well :bigthumbsup
If you want to see the 8.5 tire cars 1000 plus hp cars ,drag your self out of Canada and come to Kentucky. All these cars have all been on the chassis dino. If it aint the truth I won't put it on this site. I am not a bull shi-er. Come on down Sept 11 2010 London Ky. see for yourself.

R

·
0 Posts
I'm not disputing the HP, what I question is somebody wanting to do it with a "stock-type suspension".

The question is why not......:?:

The is a rumor floating around i maybe building a 427 turbo motor.....

BTW better make over 1200HP........

And it will be stock "style" suspension........

·
Registered
797 Posts
seems like we're playing a war of words:rollgrin:....in my understanding once you've put $4000 you got as much as "stock type" suspension as putting $4000 into your engine, transmission or car for that matter and calling it "stock type" seems to be very subjective (and potentially misleading, perhaps intentionally so:hihi:)

·
Registered
198 Posts
think what reggie is saying is you dont have to go to a 4 link to be competitive you could just upgrade your stock and i also know for a fact that there are some 1000hp cars running beefed up stock suspensions :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
797 Posts
I was under the impression that the mustangs used a four link from factory and that there were various mods done to that...now some of you are trying to tell me it's NOT a four link, what would define a real four link?

·
Registered
797 Posts
...other than repositioning some of the links...that as far as I'm concerned is just a mod

·
Registered
198 Posts
let me rephase that cut all the factory out and put in like a comp enginering 4 link system instead of just up grading the factory:winks

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.