Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bearing on the belt tensioner squeaks LOUDLY for a good 15 minutes until the engine is warmed up at which point it completely quiets down as if there was never a squak. I have posted a video with the sound and showing the how much movement there is on the belt tensioner. It might also be the pulley above the tensioner but I am fairly certain it is the tensioner itself.

What does everybody think?
Do I need a new tensioner?:shrug

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Yes get a new one mine went out as soon i put my blower on i had the same symptoms you are describing :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Yes get a new one mine went out as soon i put my blower on i had the same symptoms you are describing :bigthumbsup
do you think it was age or the blower that required a new one? If so, how many years should a typical one last?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
its ur belt, if it was a baring it wouldnt go away. spray some wd-40 on her and i bet it will go away. i say get both a new tensioner and belt toghether it will cost like 30$
and yes the tensioner will wobble like that new or old, just gets worse as time goes on

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
do you think it was age or the blower that required a new one? If so, how many years should a typical one last?
I think it was both,the stock one had 62,000 on it but the blower finished it off i think lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah its the same sound mine made try the tensioner,how many miles?
Right now im @ 82000km so..about 52K-ish miles (if my math is right) but the car sat for for aprrox 11 months at one point 2 years ago. I dont know if that would make a difference.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Tensionsers really dont go out to often but ya never know,does your belt wobble from side to side just a little bit with the engine running?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you have the tools and desire you can replace the bearings in the pulley. You'll have to remove the tensioner ass'y, unbolt the pulley and press the bearings out. I was able to get new ones at the local bearing supply for about $10.00. Take note of how far the bearings are pressed in from one side so you can duplicate this dimension when installing the new ones. Otherwise, the belt may ride off-center.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have considered it and will do it on several of the other pulleys when the time comes. However, sadly unlike the US in here in Ottawa the nearest store that sell that kind of bearing is in the industrial part a good 30miles away, its not even worth it in terms of gas. I found the entire brand new in box pulley on ebay for 19 or 20 bucks ($17US) shipped, so I will just get that, I have a torque wrench and the appropriate bit and thats all i need as far as I know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.