Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it necessary to get a new crank for a used 351w roller I'll be pulling out of truck. Wasn't really wanting to throw down another $300+ on a new crank. This engine is going into my daily driver, and I'm trying to get around 400hp with it.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I wouldn't replace the crank, unless it is bad, look for deep scores in the crankshaft and rod journals, if they look okay, then you need to check them with a micrometer, you take 4 measurements on each crankshaft main bearing journal and 8 measurements on the rod journal because two rods are against each other, one set is across from each other and the other is 90deg from the other pair, the first pair give the taper on that line, the second set will also give the taper for that line, and the 90deg apart gives the out of round, record all measurements, if any are too much wear, or too much taper or out of round, the crankshaft needs to be turned undersize and undersize bearings used, this is no big deal, there are many different sizes of undersize bearings. If the engine has never been ran out of oil, or had a low oil pressure problem, or too many miles, you may not need to do anything, other than clean the passages and clean it up. When storing a crankshaft for very long, before reassembly, you need to make it stand up, you can do this either with a piece of wire, or bolt it to the flywheel and let the flywheel hold it upright. Good Luck.

·
0 Posts
hello;

take it to a crank grinder and have them look at it.

get it "race" ground.

also, if you plan on 400 hp with a late model stock crank, buy an ATI crank damper and possibly eagle or scat forged rods. at the very least get ARP bolts in yours. the 69 - 70 rods and crank were good but were talking about an 80's parts now.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the good information :). However is that ATI damper necessary? It's just as much as a crank. I just need to know the things I need to do in that area that have to be done, and so everything doesn't break. After all the expensive top end stuff like heads, etc. I wasn't really wanting to spend much more. But if it needs to be done then there is no arguing oldguy.gif

·
0 Posts
Thank you both for the good information :). However is that ATI damper necessary? It's just as much as a crank. I just need to know the things I need to do in that area that have to be done, and so everything doesn't break. After all the expensive top end stuff like heads, etc. I wasn't really wanting to spend much more. But if it needs to be done then there is no arguing oldguy.gif
It is the best damper for your app period. If you were using a forged crank i would still use one but it would be less necessary.

you can buy an sfi certified damper from durabond for half as much from summit. they use a different name.

rex will tell you what damper he has but if he is running a 69 or 70's crank, it might be stronger than yours as i mentioned.

the only way to know for sure if you need the ati damper is if your rods go through your block.

there is no such thing as cheap reliable hp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts