Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get off road x pipe and pypes m80s.... I need to turn off o2 sensors. Any way around not geting a tune.. also I have a sct live wire tuner will I be able to use this on my 09. I pluged it in the other and it powered on and seemd like it would work.

If I do need a tune anyone know how much one is just to turn off them sensors

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Looking to get off road x pipe and pypes m80s.... I need to turn off o2 sensors. Any way around not geting a tune.. also I have a sct live wire tuner will I be able to use this on my 09. I pluged it in the other and it powered on and seemd like it would work.

If I do need a tune anyone know how much one is just to turn off them sensors

tuners are "locked" to the car that they are plugged into. You will need to get your livewire tuner unlocked which costs $150 last i checked, and you'll have to pay full price for a normal tune and just tell them to turn off the rear O2 sensors, or live with the codes which i don't recommend.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Performance wise (as in the condition of your engine, not "racing" performance) your car will not run any different with a catless pipe without a tune (mufflers don't do anything). All that happens is your engine will throw a catalyst efficiency code because of the unplugged rear O2 sensor, so it pretty much thinks your cat isn't working (and its not). The sole purpose of the rear O2 sensor is to make sure the cat is still working, and it is purely an aftertreatment device and does not affect the performance of your engine in any way. The downside to that is you need to check your codes regularly, because you will not know if you have any new codes since the CEL is on all the time.

And as hotshot said, the tuner gets married to the car that it is used on, and when tuners write a tune, they ask you for the computer code off your ECU for the car that the tune is going to run on, and I would not suggest you use that on another ECU.

·
Registered
37 Posts
A tune is really the best and easiest but like it says above it wont do anything if you just take them out. I drove my car around for a few months with the engine light on for rear o2's and it ran fine. It did get to to me so I did buy a tuner eventually. I've seen that for some cars they sell o2 eliminators so the car doesn't give a code. idk if they make them for your car but it might be worth looking into.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts