Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i have a shaker 500 system in my 2008 mustang and i want to put a sub or two in the trunk and i was wondering if i am going to have to buy an amp or if she shaker 500 has one included.. thanks for any help

·
Registered
665 Posts
Your going to have to buy an amp. Your Shaker 500 has its own stock amps that power the speakers. You cannot splic or use those amps for subs either. You cannot splice amps off those amps either. You can only add new subs with new power, ground, rca, mem, and speaker wire. Oh, and dont forget the fuse :p.

·
Registered
511 Posts
hey thanks a lot any suggestions of a good entry level amp and subs?
I'm running a 800watt amp from Sony and Two 12" subs from Kenwood. Each speaker handles 500watts each. THIS IS EXCELLENT, MORE BASS THAN I EXPECT AND THES SOUND IS GOOD!!!! What I noticed... if you really like bass...and like to listen for long periods of time... Spend the extra money but buy subs that are at least 1,000 watt each. Right now my 800watt amp is basically "too" much power. I have already worn out two subs. Over heated them in a two year period.

·
Registered
427 Posts
i got jl audio amp an 12' sub in a mtx thunderform box. do you still have the shaker deck? the shaker dosent come with rca jacks in the deck so you gotta run the sub in with the rear speakers. i use to have a mtx speaker an amp and they only lasted a year for me. gave out rite after the warranty ran out too. but there box is the best looking one ive ever seen. its tucked in the right side of the trunk like the shaker 1k but dosent stick out as far and matches the interior. heres a pic

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm running a 800watt amp from Sony and Two 12" subs from Kenwood. Each speaker handles 500watts each. THIS IS EXCELLENT, MORE BASS THAN I EXPECT AND THES SOUND IS GOOD!!!! What I noticed... if you really like bass...and like to listen for long periods of time... Spend the extra money but buy subs that are at least 1,000 watt each. Right now my 800watt amp is basically "too" much power. I have already worn out two subs. Over heated them in a two year period.
so my subs need to be at least the same wattage as my amp?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i got jl audio amp an 12' sub in a mtx thunderform box. do you still have the shaker deck? the shaker dosent come with rca jacks in the deck so you gotta run the sub in with the rear speakers. i use to have a mtx speaker an amp and they only lasted a year for me. gave out rite after the warranty ran out too. but there box is the best looking one ive ever seen. its tucked in the right side of the trunk like the shaker 1k but dosent stick out as far and matches the interior. heres a pic
yes i still have the shaker 500 headunit, i havent upgraded the sound system at all yet. where can i find that sub and the box from the picture you linked.. it looks great

·
Registered
511 Posts
so my subs need to be at least the same wattage as my amp?
In general... have the speakers MORE than your amp. Each speaker. You don't need to buy THe amp will power it, but you don't want to blow them out. If you live close to me, I'll let you hear my system. BY the way I'm in STL. I have the bare STOCK radio that Ford has, but I had a shop to put in the amp and subs.

·
Registered
427 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
One of my friends has a single 12" JL W6 and IMO it is more than enough

1 - 12 of 12 Posts