Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a set of bolt on vertical door hinges for $100.00 (and some other parts), but they're HEAVY AS HELL!
Does anybody have this?
Will tracks let me race with these on?
Is it worth it to put these on a 4.0?
I really need some input on this before I do something stupid to my car. Your input is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
My opinion is a definite no on the Lambo doors. I personally don't like them. But it's your car do what you like.

·
Registered
477 Posts
It really depends on you, some may say it looks cool, a lot might say its just ridiculous but all in all its your car and do what you want. In my opinion i think your car looks pretty cool already:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
331 Posts
nooooooo! i hate those! they only belong on lambos! lol i had to install an alarm on a ghetto ass 02 monte carlo that had those. it was such a pain in the butt because the door didnt stay up and it was just in the way the whole time. your car looks good as is!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I don't care for the lambo doors, but everyone is different. If the install kit is cheap, however, you will find yourself being beaned by your door that won't stay up.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Lambo doors belong on a Lambo... but thats my opinion.... like others said... do what you like.... I mean its your car you should be happy with it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ive seen lambo doors on a few new edge mustangs and they just didnt seem to look or fit right. havent seen them on the new stangs though. Some cars can actually pull it off though and not look to cheesy. Kinda just depends...but i think i would agree, leave the exotic doors for exotic cars.

·
Registered
365 Posts
You must want them or why would you have bought the hinges?
Personally, I don't like them.. they simply don't belong on our cars.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you install vertical doors on your Mustang, make sure it's a good (and complete) kit. A complete kit will also include shocks strong enough to make sure the doors stay up. The hinges are definitely heavy. Having said that, if you like them, install them. The only negative comments I ever seem to get are from people on a few Mustang forums. Every comment I've gotten in person has been very positive.

What do YOU want? That's what matters. Just make sure you don't use a cheap kit. This is one area where you definitely get what you pay for.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Personally I wouldn't, just because they don't look right. Maybe if they had custom ones made that fit perfectly then I would say fine. I think they're good only on show cars. :so

·
Registered
256 Posts
If thats your style trick out your ride to please you, most mustang owner including myself would always say no, its an import thing but I wouldnt waist the money.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I helped a friend put a Vertical Door kit set of Lambo hinges on his 96 Mustang Cobra. I don't think the results warrent the effort or expense. I had toyed with the idea of putting them on my vette but after this experience I have totally thrown that idea out. I agree with the majority, Lambo doors on Lambos.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
You aren't going to get much help on here... I vote for do it if you want to!

It's all personal preference! You can't make all your decisions based off of what other people say. You should put them on, and since you already have the needed mount, you won't be losing money. If you don't like them, put them back to STOCK! It's that easy, and I think some Mustangs can really pull it off and it looks great. :bigthumbsup

(WE NEED PICS!!! :laugh: )

Attachments

·
Registered
781 Posts
I like the look but would never do it on one of my cars. Personally it just seems too much, even when I got out of my dads old lambo in one, It was just wierd but then again it fits that car. Im going to have to vote a no

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate all the responses and the link to CHs post. This is a tough decision. I wasn't as concerned with the looks as I am the functionality. Here in San Diego, it seems like there's not enough space to build usable parking lots and all the spaces are just barely wide enough to get my car in and not wide enough to open my door.
I've spent the last 2 years thinking, " I should get those vertical doors". It's strictly because of the parking problems here.
I havn't been too involved with making my car for show. I want it to haul ass. Future mods include stage 2 heads, 50 shot, and the ignition. Then after I blow it up, forge and stroke it. I'm thinking these over-weight hinges are going to defeat that purpose slightly, but then again, they are a bolt-on and it can be changed back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
+1 to that :bigthumbsup

However I doubt the weight from the hinges would change your 0-60 or 1/4 much :)

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I appreciate all the responses and the link to CHs post. This is a tough decision. I wasn't as concerned with the looks as I am the functionality. Here in San Diego, it seems like there's not enough space to build usable parking lots and all the spaces are just barely wide enough to get my car in and not wide enough to open my door.
I've spent the last 2 years thinking, " I should get those vertical doors". It's strictly because of the parking problems here.
I havn't been too involved with making my car for show. I want it to haul ass. Future mods include stage 2 heads, 50 shot, and the ignition. Then after I blow it up, forge and stroke it. I'm thinking these over-weight hinges are going to defeat that purpose slightly, but then again, they are a bolt-on and it can be changed back.
Wow man... If you've been thinking about this for 2 years, I say do it... Hands down!

Worst comes to worse... Back to stock it goes. I hope you do them! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
160 Posts
Concerning functionality, the doors are very useful in tight parking spots. The ones I have open about halfway and then go up. We also have a car hauler and the doors make it easier to get in and out after it's loaded. Also, when the car is on a lift and someone needs to get inside, it's much easier to do with vertical doors (I have a pic of one of my mechanics doing that).

If you have a girlfriend or wife, it's easier for her to get in and out while wearing a skirt. lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.