Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i wana take my cats off like all v6+ owners i just love the sound and i want it louder, but i dont have two midpipes so i was wounderin is it possible to clamp them? like cut the cats off and just clamp a normal piece of pipe on? but im hesitant to think that clamps will hold the cats on when i go for the inspection next year..?

if clamps will work can i do it myself? and should i cut before or after the sensors?
if a shop should do it how much would they charge? a quick cut and clam should only be 50$ or so? :headscratch:

thanks
and sry if this is a repost couldnt find one that rly answer my Q

·
Registered
140 Posts
good luck finding a shop that will remove your cats, its illegal. you should just buy an offroad catless x-pipe and switch your old system back for inspection rather than cut out your cats

·
Registered
135 Posts
Cut after the o2 sensors..otherwise ur check engine light will always be on until you buy dummy plugs or hte light burns out lol.And if your goin catless and you have emissions test sounds like a bad idea to me. Most likely you will fail and end up with like a huge fine for not cats on your car. Your better off getting a y pipe like my buddy did to make it dual exhaust and slap some flowmasters that give it a nice low but deep tone since its a 6. but thats just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good luck finding a shop that will remove your cats, its illegal. you should just buy an offroad catless x-pipe and switch your old system back for inspection rather than cut out your cats
catless midpipes are 180-230$.. and its not illegal to take off your cats its illegal to not have any (unless you have less then 50K then its against your warrinty).. just like how store can sell bongs but there illegal to actually use.

and you still didnt answer wether or not i can do it myself? or wether or not clamps will hold...??

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cut after the o2 sensors..otherwise ur check engine light will always be on until you buy dummy plugs or hte light burns out lol.And if your goin catless and you have emissions test sounds like a bad idea to me. Most likely you will fail and end up with like a huge fine for not cats on your car. Your better off getting a y pipe like my buddy did to make it dual exhaust and slap some flowmasters that give it a nice low but deep tone since its a 6. but thats just my 2 cents.
i have a TRUE dual set up with flowmasters and dynomax..
i have tests just like every other state but thats only once a year, my gt had open cats and i never got charged anything i got like 5 warnings tho lol and if you go for the test and you fail they dont fine you they give you 60days to buy new ones or you have to pay for another test (after 60 days).

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
If the Mass State Police catch you with no cats they will remove your car from the road and force you to let them inspect it before you put it back on the road. I'd be VERY careful running no cats in Mass. I am born and bred from Worcester for 37 years before I moved to Canada a few years back. I was also a mechanic. Many inspection stations just don't care, they just like to collect the easy money but if you get the wrong guy at the wrong time they are supposed to turn you in for no cats. I would just get the off-road pipe or have a shop make you some off road pipes so that you have the legal equipment when you need it.

And it is completely illegal and against federal law to remove ANY emissions controls/devices from ANY car regardless of the year or even if it is exempt from testing. Again, most inspectors don't seem to care, but if they all did their job to the letter you'd hear alot of people getting nailed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
im from mass too. i worked at an inspection station and nobody ever looked to see if there were cats or not. i did fail inspection on my first truck for not having one but that only because he was looking at the rust in my floorboards and happened to notice i didnt have a cat haha. theyre not gonna turn you in, just fail you. and if you just get 02 cheaters you wont have to put the cats back on at most places as long as youre not too loud.

clamps will hold but its really not worth it. you can only take them on and off so many times and theyre probly gonna leak. its worth it to pay for the o/r pipe. also, ive heard on this forum that catless sounds bad and performs bad on our v6's due to not enough backpressure

·
Registered
288 Posts
yea v6's without cats sounds really bad and without the back pressure your car will lose torque so just leave them on its only like 5hp without cats. if you want you can put some high flow cats on they might help a little.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the Mass State Police catch you with no cats they will remove your car from the road and force you to let them inspect it before you put it back on the road. I'd be VERY careful running no cats in Mass. I am born and bred from Worcester for 37 years before I moved to Canada a few years back. I was also a mechanic. Many inspection stations just don't care, they just like to collect the easy money but if you get the wrong guy at the wrong time they are supposed to turn you in for no cats. I would just get the off-road pipe or have a shop make you some off road pipes so that you have the legal equipment when you need it.

And it is completely illegal and against federal law to remove ANY emissions controls/devices from ANY car regardless of the year or even if it is exempt from testing. Again, most inspectors don't seem to care, but if they all did their job to the letter you'd hear alot of people getting nailed.
edited out : miss read the above post

the reason im avoiding O/R pipes is because as i said i have a custom true dual exhaust with the H pipe so i dont have a second mid pipe bolt area the mid and mufflers are all one big peice now.. =/ guess ima go wit the cherrys.. there $$$$ tho like 200-300 each.. and i need 4.. :headscratch:
what about boring the cats out?? is that the same as takein them off?

·
Registered
140 Posts
if youre gonna get aftermarket cats and do it yourself, you might as well just do test pipes since the o2 bungs are in the second set of cats. and yes gutting your cat is just like taking them off as far as it being illegal. you would also need o2 simulators if you do that

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if youre gonna get aftermarket cats and do it yourself, you might as well just do test pipes since the o2 bungs are in the second set of cats. and yes gutting your cat is just like taking them off as far as it being illegal. you would also need o2 simulators if you do that
simulators?? for the boring or cat swap?? do you mean the o2 sensor short sercit wires?

·
Registered
140 Posts
simulators?? for the boring or cat swap?? do you mean the o2 sensor short sercit wires?
no, i mean o2 sensor simulators. why would you want to short circuit anything ever? if you gut your cats or remove them your check engine light will come on. not only will it be annoying but you will be unable to pass emissions. and if you just leave it on how are you going to know if the light is on for another reason

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no, i mean o2 sensor simulators. why would you want to short circuit anything ever? if you gut your cats or remove them your check engine light will come on. not only will it be annoying but you will be unable to pass emissions. and if you just leave it on how are you going to know if the light is on for another reason
well thats what i ment "short circuit" was a bad choice of words, i seen the simulators on AM.com a wile back, as for the check engine light im getting a dash scan monitor so il know whats wrong before the light even comes on =) its only 180 on AM looks useful :scratchchin

·
Registered
140 Posts
youre still not going to pass emissions unless you cut cats back on and drive with them long enough to set the readiness monitors and shut the check engine light off on its own or get simulators so the computer will think you always have cats

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
youre still not going to pass emissions unless you cut cats back on and drive with them long enough to set the readiness monitors and shut the check engine light off on its own or get simulators so the computer will think you always have cats
im well aware of that as i said i had a catless gt for a wile i know all the tricks trips and falls of going catless o/r i was just trying to find a diff solution to my issue but i dont rlly see one so i guess im stuck wit how it is :so

·
Registered
140 Posts
like i mentioned earlier and someone agreed... i hear the v6's sound really bad and lose power when you lose the cats because there isnt enough back pressure without them. youre better off just leaving it alone. i was going to take mine off until i had heard that several times i just decided to leave it alone.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
why would you want to short circuit anything ever?
LOL believe it or not i actually have an answer to that. :headscratch:

at the shop i work at, we have a few techs who arent the brightest in their field...often times if they "diagnose" something and replace a part under warranty and it turns out that the part they replaced wasnt defective (omg surprise surprise); and if they send in a part that has nothing wrong with it, then Hyundai will send it back and make the tech pay for it. to avoid that, they often throw parts in the microwave to make them bad.

i saw someone trying to nuke a washer fluid pump today...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

at the shop i work at, we have a few techs who arent the brightest in their field...often times if they "diagnose" something and replace a part under warranty and it turns out that the part they replaced wasnt defective (omg surprise surprise); and if they send in a part that has nothing wrong with it, then Hyundai will send it back and make the tech pay for it. to avoid that, they often throw parts in the microwave to make them bad.

thats sad..
no not your tech ppl there learning and the microwave thing was smart as hell
its the fact that warming up a hyundai part = fail.. im never looking at a tiburon again

·
Registered
140 Posts

it cant be that hard to kill a hyundai part. these things happen tho. i cant say ive never mis diagnosed something and found a way out of paying for it.... i felt bad doing it though

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
A tech that misdiagnoses a problem and replaces a good part SHOULD be forced to pay for it. This is why they go to school and learn, there is no excuse other than the fact they don't have the ability to fix cars.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.