Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I get my license in October and I really want to have duals on my 98 V6 by then. I am working at a supermarket and cannot and will not (most likely), be able to afford the $500 fee that my local exhaust shop quoted me. I have a neighbor that welds and i was wondering, would it be fairly easy to make my exhaust a "summer project?" Buying on Jegs, I could have all the parts for under 300 dollars including tips and mufflers. To me it seems worth it but being only 16 years old, I was wondering if any of you had opinions or more knowledge.

thanks for any help!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had a V6 2001 stang and put flowmaster 2 chambers with turn downs, made the 6 sound wicked and only paid 160 for all that using stock headers. The entire exhaust will cost you more but depending on what your looking for just welding in a set of mufflers could give you what you want without spending big money.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I debated having a friend who welds help me, but we didn't have access to a lift and I felt that doing it on jack stands would have been a pita. I don't see why you can't do it, though.

·
Registered
720 Posts
THe reasonaftermarket exhaust is so much more expensive is because the pipes, when bent are not crimped where as if you were to D.I.Y they would most likely be crimped. This wont affect your performance however seeing as it only needs on pipe to properly release the gases. So yes this could be a summer project and shoule be relativly easy if you have welding skills. ALSO, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASSEEEEEEEE make a mounting bracket for the passenger side exhaust tip, dont ghetto rag it using a clothe hanger or speaker wire like a kid in my highschool does. Have fun, and do it right.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My opinion is go to another shop to get a quote man seriously. i just got my exhaust recently and i went to a bunch of places. most said they will do it if i bring my muffler for 400 or so. some others told me if i bring my own tips and muffler they will do it for 300. When i almost caved in i checked one last place. They told me they would do my exhaust work for 300 bucks ( i already brought the tips so it was gonna be 340 but he changed it since i already had em). Since i had a lil more money to spend i wanted an X pipe other there aswell total came out to 375 bucks. I love the way they sound. :) i would say keep looking if you can spend 300 to do it urself n not like the way they turn out. Unless you wanna know how to weld and what not then thats understandable :D but IMO save a lil about 350 and offer that to do your duals. Im sure you'll get them

·
Registered
57 Posts
A project is always fun :scratchchin When making your own custom exhaust, decide on what it is you really want. Do you want duals or true duals? I agree with Protree750, Flowmasters sound good when it comes to exhaust :gringreen They're also affordable. Thrush Welded Mufflers sound good too. They're like Flowmasters, but a little more aggressive in my opinion. Im making my own exhaust system right now so if you have a question, hit me up, Id be happy to help :bigthumbsup

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
get one more quoute
i paid 550 total , but only $160 of that was install costes and he supplied the pipe and hangers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.